Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of changing probabilities on interference

  1. Sep 30, 2013 #1
    Let's say we are doing interference experiment via say a Mach-Zehnder

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mach%E2%80%93Zehnder_interferometer


    In the Mach-Zehnder two of the mirrors are half silvered.

    The photon has a 50% chance of passing through the half-silvered mirror and 50% chance of being reflected.

    1. What happens if we make the mirror 3/4 silvered?

    I.e. the photon has 25% chance of passing through and 75% chance of being reflected?

    2. What happens if we make the mirror 1/4 silvered?

    I.e. the photon has 75% chance of passing through and 25% chance of being reflected?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2013 #2

    mfb

    User Avatar
    2016 Award

    Staff: Mentor

    Calculate the amplitudes, add them, square their magnitudes to get the intensities. Which mirror do you want to change in which way? In general, you get different intensities for the detectors if you change those percentages.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Effect of changing probabilities on interference
Loading...