Effect of Hall effect on resistance

In summary, the Hall effect decreases the effective area through which charge carriers are moving, which may increase resistance in electric machines. However, this effect is not significant in electric machines.
kneeslider
The charge carriers in a current carrying wire subjected to a magnetic field will move to a side due to the Hall effect. But doesn't that also decrease the effective cross section area through which the charge carriers are moving? Does the resistance increase? If so, how significant is it in electric machines like motors?

Engineering news on Phys.org
74 views, but no replys. But, I need this answer:(

kneeslider said:
The charge carriers in a current carrying wire subjected to a magnetic field will move to a side due to the Hall effect. But doesn't that also decrease the effective cross section area through which the charge carriers are moving? Does the resistance increase? If so, how significant is it in electric machines like motors?

What is the context of the question? Is it for schoolwork?

No, not for school work. It's a burning curiosity. School is closed for the summer, so it's not easy to ask the professors. That's why I am here. I can't seem to wrap up the theories to actually carry out the calculations (I am a physics major and have done just one ENM course). I have a coil with high enough resistance to run the test from a home power supply and multimeters, but don't have a magnet to run the test. I will appreciate any sort of answer and an explanation- with or without the math.

If the effect was significant, people could have made more efficient motors with coils of rectangular cross section. I have never seen such a motor, so I presume the effect is not significant. But, I am still don't feel satiated without a proper explanation.

kneeslider said:
No, not for school work. It's a burning curiosity. School is closed for the summer, so it's not easy to ask the professors. That's why I am here. I can't seem to wrap up the theories to actually carry out the calculations (I am a physics major and have done just one ENM course). I have a coil with high enough resistance to run the test from a home power supply and multimeters, but don't have a magnet to run the test. I will appreciate any sort of answer and an explanation- with or without the math.

If the effect was significant, people could have made more efficient motors with coils of rectangular cross section. I have never seen such a motor, so I presume the effect is not significant. But, I am still don't feel satiated without a proper explanation.

I'm no expert on the Hall Effect, but I believe that it is pretty low in metals because the density of conduction electrons is high. Note how the Hall Voltage ratios inversely with the density of the carriers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect

BTW, square cross-section wires are sometimes use in coils (I don't know about motors), because the coil packing is more efficient.

Thanks. I still have a lot to understand. What I am suggesting is, due to the Hall effect, the current in the coil will decrease. The same number of charge carriers have to pass through a smaller area (the carriers are getting deflected to a side). I=neA(Vd). "A-Area" will decrease, but (Vd-drift velocity) will not increase proportionally as the carriers have more obstructions to their motion.

I cannot relate it to the Hall voltage formula. Perhaps I need to start at a more basic level, and carry out some weird integrations. I don't know. I will keep on reading. Thanks.

1. How does the Hall effect affect resistance?

The Hall effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied perpendicular to an electric current causes a voltage difference, known as the Hall voltage, across the conductor. This Hall voltage can affect the resistance of the conductor by changing the flow of electrons, resulting in an overall increase or decrease in resistance.

2. What is the relationship between Hall effect and resistance?

The Hall effect and resistance have an inverse relationship. This means that as the Hall voltage increases, the resistance of the conductor decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can the Hall effect be used to measure resistance?

Yes, the Hall effect can be used to measure resistance. By applying a known magnetic field and measuring the resulting Hall voltage, the resistance of a conductor can be calculated using the formula R = V/I, where R is resistance, V is Hall voltage, and I is current.

4. How does the material of the conductor affect the Hall effect on resistance?

The material of the conductor can significantly impact the Hall effect on resistance. Materials with a high electron mobility, such as metals, will experience a larger Hall voltage and therefore a more significant effect on resistance compared to materials with lower electron mobility.

5. Can the Hall effect be used to control resistance?

Yes, the Hall effect can be used to control resistance. By varying the strength of the magnetic field applied to the conductor, the Hall voltage and therefore the resistance can be manipulated. This is useful in applications such as sensors and electronic devices.