Effect of inserting an analyzer loop in the EPR experiment

In summary, the question asks if modifying an EPR experiment by adding an analyzer loop consisting of a polarizer and inverse polarizer before the polarizers would still result in a non-local correlation between the entangled photons. According to analysis, this modification would not affect the outcome and a Bell violation would still be observed. However, there has not been an experimental demonstration of this modification.
kurt101
TL;DR Summary
Does inserting an analyzer loop in the EPR experiment with photons affect the non-local correlation in this experiment?
Given an EPR experiment such as the Alain Aspect 1982 test of non-locality using photons; if you modified the experiment so that the entangled photons first go through a analyzer loop (polarizer + inverse polarizer) before going to the polarizers in the experiment would you still see a non-local correlation between the entangled photons in this experiment?

A loop analyzer is a polarizer and its inverse polarizer that does not change the polarization as show in the following diagram:

loop-analyzer.png

Physics news on Phys.org
DrChinese said:
According to this analysis, it would:
"It would" what? I did a first read through the thought experiment you posted and my understanding is that an analyzer loop that looks like:
loop-analyzer2.PNG

has no effect on the outcome and you still get the Bell violation whether it is there or not. Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks

Attachments

• loop-analyzer2.PNG
    loop-analyzer2.PNG
    1.2 KB · Views: 84
Sorry, I wasn't clear: "Would you still see a non-local correlation between the entangled photons in this experiment?"

Yes, you would. The only issue is that I am not aware of an experimental demonstration of this. But maybe someone else knows... :smile: and I would love to see that.

Likes kurt101

1. What is an analyzer loop in the EPR experiment?

An analyzer loop is a component that is inserted into an EPR (electron paramagnetic resonance) experiment to measure the spin state of a sample. It is typically made of a coil of wire that can be rotated to change the orientation of the magnetic field. This allows for the measurement of different spin states of the sample.

2. How does inserting an analyzer loop affect the EPR experiment?

Inserting an analyzer loop can provide valuable information about the spin state of a sample in an EPR experiment. It allows for the measurement of different spin states, which can provide insight into the structure and properties of the sample being studied.

3. What are the benefits of using an analyzer loop in the EPR experiment?

Using an analyzer loop in an EPR experiment can provide a more detailed understanding of the sample being studied. It allows for the measurement of different spin states, which can provide information about the electronic structure and properties of the sample. This can be particularly useful in studying paramagnetic materials.

4. Are there any limitations to using an analyzer loop in the EPR experiment?

While an analyzer loop can provide valuable information, it does have limitations. The accuracy of the measurements can be affected by factors such as the sample's environment and the strength of the magnetic field. Additionally, the use of an analyzer loop can introduce noise into the experiment, which can affect the quality of the data.

5. How is an analyzer loop inserted into an EPR experiment?

The process of inserting an analyzer loop into an EPR experiment can vary depending on the specific setup. In general, the loop is carefully placed near the sample being studied and connected to the appropriate instrumentation. The orientation of the loop is then adjusted as needed to measure different spin states of the sample.