1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effect of orthonormal projection on rank

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given rank(R) and a QR factorization A = QR, what is the rank(A)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I want to know if multiplication by a full rank orthonormal matrix Q and an upper trapezoidal matrix R yields rank(R)=rank(Q*R)=rank(A)

This is mostly guesswork by me but I'd like to use it for a question I need to answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the rank of a matrix is the dimension of the image, right? If the image of R is a subspace S of dimension rank(R), then what's the dimension of Q(S) if Q is full rank?

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3
    They are equal? As the only way Q(S) would be dissimilar would be if rank(Q)<rank(R).

But does not the reason for this have anything to do with Q being orthnormal? Otherwise couldn't Q act on R and cause some of the image to overlap effectively reducing the rank?

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Q is full rank, so it's one to one. So yes, rank(QR)=dim(Q(S))=dim(S)=rank(R). So rank(QR)=rank(R).

6. Sep 14, 2009 #5
    Thank you very much =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook