Graph theory, rank and other characteristics

The ranks are ordered, so you can say that a node with rank 3 is above a node with rank 2.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the incidence matrix, arranging peaks according to rank and layers, drawing a new graph based on this arrangement, and finding new connection matrices for peaks and arcs. The concept of ranks and layers in graph theory is also mentioned, with a possible definition of a "peak" as a node with no outgoing arrows. The conversation concludes with the mention of finding node rank and the lack of a textbook for reference.
prehisto

Homework Statement

hello, I have this graph and i have to figure out these so to speak characteristics.
1) find incidence matrix
2) arrange peak according to rank and layers
3)draw new arranged graph
4) find new connection matricies of peaks and arcs
14v6vqv.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to find the incidence matrix which was pretty much easy but I can't manage to understand what is rank of peaks and what is layers in this context ,there are a lot of different notations out there in various sources.
please help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ranks and layers seem to be standard terminology. It is 'peak' that is uncommon.

The introduction to this web article gives a good explanation of what a layering of a directed acyclic graph (DAG) is, what a layer is and what a rank is.

Only 'peak' is not mentioned. A natural guess would be that a peak is either
  • a node from which there are no outgoing arrows, or
  • a node to which there are no incoming arrows.
Either of these could be chosen, but not both. What does your textbook say? I would go for the first one, since I tend to think of arrows as pointing UP.

andrewkirk said:
Ranks and layers seem to be standard terminology. It is 'peak' that is uncommon.

The introduction to this web article gives a good explanation of what a layering of a directed acyclic graph (DAG) is, what a layer is and what a rank is.

Only 'peak' is not mentioned. A natural guess would be that a peak is either
  • a node from which there are no outgoing arrows, or
  • a node to which there are no incoming arrows.
Either of these could be chosen, but not both. What does your textbook say? I would go for the first one, since I tend to think of arrows as pointing UP.

Hi, thanks for your reply.
Now i understand that node=vertex but why do you think that there should be separation between a node from which there are no outgoing arrows and a node to which there are no incoming arrows? My graph consists of nodes where edges are incoming as well as outgoing.

I do not have any textbook.

Now, If i want need to arrange nodes according to rank and layers, i really do not know what to do. Because only definitions i can find about rank in graph theory context is about rank of whole graph not node rank.

prehisto said:
why do you think that there should be separation between a node from which there are no outgoing arrows and a node to which there are no incoming arrows
I don't understand this question. I did not say anything about separation.
prehisto said:
I do not have any textbook.
Where did you get this problem?
prehisto said:
. Because only definitions i can find about rank in graph theory context is about rank of whole graph not node rank.
The link I gave defines rank in a way that applies to individual nodes, not the whole graph. It defines how to partition the graph into subsets, and all nodes in the same subset are given the same rank.

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to represent networks of interconnected objects.

2. What is the rank of a graph?

The rank of a graph is the maximum number of independent paths between any two vertices in the graph. It is a measure of the complexity or connectivity of the graph.

3. What are the characteristics of a graph?

Some of the key characteristics of a graph include the number of vertices and edges, the degree of each vertex, the presence of cycles or loops, and the connectivity between vertices.

4. How is a graph represented?

A graph can be represented in various ways, including through a visual diagram, an adjacency matrix, or an adjacency list. These representations allow for the analysis and manipulation of the graph's properties and relationships.

5. What are some real-world applications of graph theory?

Graph theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, including computer science, social networks, transportation systems, and biology. Some specific examples include network routing algorithms, social media analysis, and protein interaction networks in genetics.