Effect of temperature on Entropy

In summary, the increase in entropy due to the input of heat is related to the temperature of the system at the time of inputting the heat. The entropy change in the system, in both cases, depends upon the conditions of energy input, which have not been specified.
weng cheong
i'm a pre-U student, and i came across this when i study the topic on entropy

dS = dQ / T

i understand that as temperature increases, entropy increases as well, as there are more quanta of energy and more thermal states(energy levels) available.

however according to this equation, it seems to indicate that with a lower temperature, we can get a greater entropy?

Science news on Phys.org

S is entropy. dS is change in entropy.
So, for a given temperature T, the change in entropy is equal to the change in heat energy divided by whatever the temperature that system is currently in.

The equation you wrote describes the infinitesimal increase in entropy of a system at constant temperature when infinitesimal energy is added reversibly by heating. That's not the same as the change in entropy of a system with increasing temperature, which is [itex]\partial S/\partial T[/itex]. This quantity is, indeed, always positive.

You can integrate your equation to get [itex]\Delta S=Q\ln(T_2/T_1)[/itex], which confirms that entropy increases with temperature when a system is heated.

Does this make sense?

You get a larger change in entropy, that's correct.

ETA - I figured that constant temperature and reversibility were givens, considering the Clausius formalism used by the OP. (Although that dQ should be dQrev, which is how I recall seeing it written in textbooks.)

ETA 2 - One analogy that might be useful - if you scream at a sports game (add a tiny bit of energy to a high-temperature system), most likely you will not make that much of a dent in the general soundscape (a small change in entropy). If you yell in the middle of a wedding (adding a tiny bit of energy to a low-temperature system), it would be far more dramatic (a large change in entropy).

Last edited:

So, for a given temperature T, the change in entropy is equal to the change in heat energy divided by whatever the temperature that system is currently in.

Careful!

The temperature of the the system at the point (moment) of heat exchange, currently is a bit vague and could mean after the exchange.

Note also it is a differential relationship so may be integrated from point to point.

Imagine this situation.
You provide X joules of heat to a system at
1)say 100 K and 2)say 300K

So, in the first case, what you will observe is the there will be a larger change in the randomness than in the second case, as due to the pre-existing higher temperature, there will be already a large amount of disorder in the system!

It's just like shuffling a deck of kinda properly arranged cards (analogous to a lower T) will give you a larger change in disorder than shuffling a pack of cards that are already random in order (higher temperature!).

Am I correct?

Imagine this situation.
You provide X joules of heat to a system at
1)say 100 K and 2)say 300K

The entropy change in the system, in both cases, depends upon the conditions of energy input, which have not been specified.

Studiot said:
The entropy change in the system, in both cases, depends upon the conditions of energy input, which have not been specified.

and can you please help me out wit what that is? :)

If both additions of heat are reversible then the entropy change of the second case input is 1/3 of the first.

The addition of heat may become the work of expansion, which allows greater entropy in the form of freedom of space to occupy,

or

It may be taken up in a phase (state) change so the particles become more disordered.

1. How does temperature affect entropy?

As temperature increases, the entropy of a system also increases. This is because at higher temperatures, the particles within the system have more energy and therefore more possible states they can occupy, resulting in a higher level of disorder or randomness.

2. Why does entropy increase with temperature?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. As temperature increases, the molecules within the system have more thermal energy and are able to move more freely, leading to a greater number of possible arrangements and therefore a higher level of disorder.

3. How does the second law of thermodynamics relate to the effect of temperature on entropy?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This is directly related to the effect of temperature on entropy, as an increase in temperature leads to an increase in entropy due to the greater disorder and randomness of the system.

4. Can entropy decrease with increasing temperature?

In general, no. According to the second law of thermodynamics, the entropy of a closed system will always increase with time. However, there are some rare cases where the entropy of a system may decrease with increasing temperature, such as in certain chemical reactions or phase transitions. These cases are exceptions and do not contradict the overall trend of increasing entropy with temperature.

5. How is the effect of temperature on entropy related to the concept of equilibrium?

At equilibrium, there is no net change in the system and the entropy remains constant. However, at different temperatures, the system may have different levels of entropy, with higher temperatures leading to higher entropy. This means that in order to reach equilibrium, the temperature of a system may need to change in order to balance the entropy of the system with its surroundings.