Maximizing Cooling Effectiveness: Tips for Conveyor Belt Cooling Systems"

• Thread starter Craig_1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to improve the effectiveness of a cooling system that is being used to cool a substance (meat) on a conveyor belt. The current set up includes 3 air conditioning units with two outlets on each unit, equally spaced out along the belt. The individual is considering grouping the units together at either the start or end of the belt and is unsure which option will be more effective. The substance temperature is 45 degrees Celsius, the ambient temperature inside the room is 20 degrees Celsius, and the a/c units are set to the lowest setting of 1 degree Celsius. The conveyor speed is 0.072 m/s and the material is spread to a thickness of 10mm. The individual
Craig_1986
I am wondering if someone can please advice on how to improve the effectiveness of a cooling system I am using.

I am trying to cool a substance using an 8m long conveyor belt with 3 air conditioning units with two outlets on each unit blowing down on the material. The current set up I have tried has had the a/c units equally spaced out along the belt. I am now considering either grouping all the units together at either the start or end of the belt and I am not sure what will be more effective.

Delta T will be greatest at the beginning but the ambient air temperature may do a lot of the work for me and I should then possibly concentrate the a/c units at the end of the belt or blast it at the start?

Material temperature = 45 degree
Ambient temperature inside room = 20 degree
a/c set to lowest setting = 1 degree
material spread to a thickness around 10mm
conveyor speed - 0.072 m/sAny thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
More detail would be helpful. What is the substance, and what do you think the dominant mechanism of heat transfer is?

Borrow a thermal imaging camera .

Likes Dr. Courtney
Dr. Courtney said:
More detail would be helpful. What is the substance, and what do you think the dominant mechanism of heat transfer is?
The substance is meat which has been diced into small pieces. It is heated up and passed through a Tricanter to separate solids, water and oil and the substance I am left with is similar to mince meat. If left warm in a skip it turns gloopy from (I believe) the moisture content condensing and remaining in the substance. If I remove enough heat from the substance prior to the skip it will remain relatively solid. I am agitating the substance by turning it as it moves along the belt using chains to stop surface cooling only occurring. This is the experiment I am trying to prove the idea and make this crude method as effective as I can and if successful a more robust permanent system would be installed.Thanks

Craig

The food processing industries are usually subject to all kinds of food safety and workplace type of regulations.

I am hesitant to give physics/engineering advice that may neglect or run afoul of those considerations, which may also depend on location.

Dr. Courtney said:
The food processing industries are usually subject to all kinds of food safety and workplace type of regulations.

I am hesitant to give physics/engineering advice that may neglect or run afoul of those considerations, which may also depend on location.
I should have been clearer this is a by-product of Leather making and going to landfill. Not actually meat but the off cuts from hides.

Assuming you're talking about degrees Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, try spraying water on the meat, the evaporation should cool it down quickly, especially if you have a good blower going.

Craig_1986 said:
the substance I am left with is similar to mince meat. If left warm in a skip it turns gloopy from (I believe) the moisture content condensing and remaining in the substance. If I remove enough heat from the substance prior to the skip it will remain relatively solid
A few questions.
Have you ever checked the moisture content in the stuff?
ie when it is hot? when it has cooled down? when it is ready for the dumpster?
From what experience or data are you so sure that just the cooling down renders it unable to turn into gloop?
After how much time in the dumpster has passed before it becomes gloop. Immediately, hours, days?

Reason I ask is that if you were ambient air cooling before, it could be that it was also air drying at the same time. At a particular moisture percentage above which it will turn into gloop, and below which it will not. Bacterial action on the biological material becomes more difficult below a certain level.

In which case, you would need to flow heated air over the "meat" to withdraw moisture to dry it out.

WCOLtd said:
Assuming you're talking about degrees Celsius instead of Fahrenheit, try spraying water on the meat, the evaporation should cool it down quickly, especially if you have a good blower going.

Yes it is Celsius. Water would cool it down for sure but would be counterproductive as the outcome I am looking to achieve cooler and dry so transportation in large 20 ton skips is easier.

Could you contrive some rollers on your conveyor so as to mangle some of the liquid out ?

256bits said:
A few questions.
From what experience or data are you so sure that just the cooling down renders it unable to turn into gloop?
After how much time in the dumpster has passed before it becomes gloop. Immediately, hours, days?

Reason I ask is that if you were ambient air cooling before, it could be that it was also air drying at the same time. At a particular moisture percentage above which it will turn into gloop, and below which it will not. Bacterial action on the biological material becomes more difficult below a certain level.

In which case, you would need to flow heated air over the "meat" to withdraw moisture to dry it out.
No, this seems like a good idea. Information I have been provided, but never gathered myself was that below 30 degree it remains solid. Current process has been to fill up the skip half with saw dust half with waste. I am an engineering student working over the summer and thought it would be interesting to try and improve the process. My experience is limited, so bear this in mind if I have overlooked an obvious idea.Using no cooling and depositing straight into the skip the "meat" turns to gloop within an hour. When I ran my set up with the a/c units spaced out the "meat" stayed solid for at least 8 hours but by the time the skip was lifted, 24 hours from the filling start time, it was gloopy. It was not as bad as normal but still not great. The temperature was around 35 Degrees when it was skipped and this is why I am looking to improve cooling set up to get it nearer the 30 Degrees.

Last edited:
Nidum said:
Could you contrive some rollers on your conveyor so as to mangle some of the liquid out ?

It has been spun in a tricanter before the conveyor so to separate as much water and oil. Although it does have moisture content but like mince if you squeeze it very little comes out. No doubt if an industrial vacuum press or something was used it would further remove water but I don't see this as the best solution.

256bits said:
A few questions.

It should also be noted that an attempt has been made previously to pass it through a steam heated dryer with a couple of intermeshed auger's pushing it through the dryer. During this process the substance again turns gloopy and as such the augers were unable to push it along. This was in the hope again to dry it out and use as Thermal plant fuel.

Craig_1986 said:
No, this seems like a good idea. Information I have been provided, but never gathered myself was that below 30 degree it remains solid. Current process has been to fill up the skip half with saw dust half with waste. I am an engineering student working over the summer and thought it would be interesting to try and improve the process. My experience is limited, so bear this in mind if I have overlooked an obvious idea.Using no cooling and depositing straight into the skip the "meat" turns to gloop within an hour. When I ran my set up with the a/c units spaced out the "meat" stayed solid for at least 8 hours but by the time the skip was lifted, 24 hours from the filling start time, it was gloopy. It was not as bad as normal but still not great. The temperature was around 35 Degrees when it was skipped and this is why I am looking to improve cooling set up to get it nearer the 30 Degrees.

Was worth a shot to see if you had covered all bases, hich seems to have been done.

By gloop,
Do you mean liquifiying?
Or turning into a jelly ( or sticky like )?

Just to throw another idea out there, since I wonder what the stuff make up is, if it has proteins, such as gelatin and/or collagen, those are temperature sensitive.
You could be making Jello, or glue.

256bits said:
Was worth a shot to see if you had covered all bases, hich seems to have been done.

By gloop,
Do you mean liquifiying?
Or turning into a jelly ( or sticky like )?

Just to throw another idea out there, since I wonder what the stuff make up is, if it has proteins, such as gelatin and/or collagen, those are temperature sensitive.
You could be making Jello, or glue.
By gloop I mean a watery mixture similar in appearance to vomit (sorry, just the best visual I can provide.) The substance does not feel sticky before and I have yet to stick my hand in it after but looks more soggy.

1. How can I increase the cooling efficiency of my conveyor belt system?

To increase the cooling efficiency of a conveyor belt system, there are several steps that can be taken. First, make sure that the cooling system is properly sized for the conveyor belt and the materials being transported. Additionally, regularly clean and maintain the cooling system to ensure it is working at its optimal level. Installing fans or increasing air flow can also help to increase cooling effectiveness.

2. What are some common cooling issues with conveyor belt systems?

Some common cooling issues with conveyor belt systems include uneven cooling, insufficient cooling, and overheating. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors such as improper sizing, dirty or clogged cooling components, or inadequate air flow. Regular maintenance and monitoring can help to prevent these issues from occurring.

3. Are there any energy-efficient options for conveyor belt cooling systems?

Yes, there are several energy-efficient options for conveyor belt cooling systems. These include using adjustable speed drives to regulate the amount of cooling needed, implementing a recirculating water system to reduce water usage, and using energy-efficient fans. Additionally, regularly maintaining and cleaning the cooling system can also help to improve energy efficiency.

4. How can I determine the ideal temperature for cooling my conveyor belt system?

The ideal temperature for cooling a conveyor belt system will depend on the materials being transported and the type of conveyor belt. It is important to consult with the manufacturer or a professional to determine the optimal temperature range for your specific system. Additionally, regularly monitoring and adjusting the temperature as needed can help to maintain efficient cooling.

5. Are there any safety considerations when optimizing cooling effectiveness for conveyor belt systems?

Yes, it is important to consider safety when optimizing cooling effectiveness for conveyor belt systems. Make sure that any modifications or changes to the cooling system are done in accordance with safety regulations and guidelines. Additionally, regularly inspect and maintain the cooling system to ensure it is functioning safely and efficiently.