Effective resistance between two points

• Thread starter DarylMBCP
  • Start date
Hey guys, I'm having a little troublt with rearranging resistors in a circuit to identify which are parallel and which are in series so I can decide how they should be added; RTotal = R1 + R2 or RTotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2.

Taking that each of the three resistors in the circuit shown (diagram attached) has a resistance of 6 ohms, what is the effective resistance between X and Y? The answer key shows that the three are parallel and if that is so, I knw how to calculate the effective resistance to get 2 ohms.

However, I'm not sure how to identify if they are parallel or not from the diagram. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Circuit 1.jpg
    Circuit 1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 981

Answers and Replies

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
One little rule to make that decision is this: series elements have the same current, while parallel elements have the same voltage difference.

One little rule to make that decision is this: series elements have the same current, while parallel elements have the same voltage difference.

Ok, so from the diagram I can see that the three resistors have different current passing through them but have the same voltage difference so the MUST be parallel, right? Is this method standard for all examples? Thanks for the help.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Yes, same voltage means they are in parallel. And I'm pretty sure this method does work for any resistor circuit.