Effective stiffness of sandwich panels

• Thread starter Name:riley
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stiffness
In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of sandwich panels using the assumption that the core is just air and the cross-section is equivalent to a rectangular tube. Equations are derived for the effective stiffness and density of the panel, with suggestions for using consistent units and considering the entire volume of the panel. A suggestion is also made to use known values for wood to estimate the effective stiffness and to refer to Figure 1 for the desired range of properties.
Name:riley

Homework Statement

Most sandwich panels are made up of two face sheets and a core. The core is often light, weak and

contributes very little to the stiffness of the panel. This enables a very rough analysis to be made by
assuming that the core is just air and that the cross‐section of the panel is equivalent to a rectangular crosssection tube. Using this assumption derive an equation for E~ in terms of the outer dimensions of the panel (b>>h) and the value of E for the face material. Hint: equate equations 1 and 2 for the same values of span,deflection, force and C1 and note that because b>>h the rectangular tube second moment of area can be given as I ~ h2tb / 2 . Note that you are not calculating a value here, just finding an expression in terms of the aforementioned variables.Use the assumption in the previous point to derive an approximate equation for the effective density, ρeff , of the panel. Hint: start by assuming the panel is b x b x h in size and calculate the volume of material in the two face sheets of thickness t (you can ignore the side strips). Your equation will be in terms of t/h.

Use your equations to estimate the effective stiffness of a wood (parallel direction) face‐sheet sandwich
panel (with a negligible weak light foam core). Assume the panel apparent density is 50 kg/m3. Comment on whether the result falls in the ‘desired’ region of property space in Figure 1.

Homework Equations

s= (L^3*F)/C*E*I and s=(L^3*F)/C*Eeff*Iouter
Area box tube( neglecting sides) 2*t*b, Volume bt = 2*t*b^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming L, F,S and C are the same we are left with E*I=Eeff*Iouter
E*(h^2*t*b)/12=Eeff*(b*h^3/12)
Eeff/E = 6t/h

ρ=mass/volume
ρeff=m/b*b*h and ρ=m/2*t*b^2
m= ρeff*b^2*h=ρ*2*t*b^2
ρeff= 2ρ*t/h

50=2*ρ*t/h

I think I have derived the equations correctly except for the E and the ρ stop the equation being used to find the desired values.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your forum post. I would like to provide some feedback and suggestions for your equations and calculations.

Firstly, I would like to point out that the equations you have derived seem to be correct and in line with the given hints. However, I would like to clarify that the equation for E~ should be E~ = 6t/h * E, as the original equation for E~ should be E~ = 6t/h * E. This will also affect the subsequent equations for ρeff, which should be ρeff= 2ρ*t/h.

Additionally, I would like to suggest using consistent units throughout your equations. Since you are using SI units for density (kg/m3), it would be more appropriate to use SI units for the other variables as well, such as length (m), force (N), and stiffness (N/m2). This will also help in checking the dimensional consistency of your equations.

Furthermore, for the equation for ρeff, I would suggest using the volume of the entire sandwich panel (including the core) instead of just the volume of the face sheets. This will give a more accurate representation of the effective density of the panel.

As for estimating the effective stiffness of a wood face-sheet sandwich panel, I would suggest using the known values of E and ρ for wood (parallel direction) to calculate the value of E~ and ρeff, and then using those values in the equations to estimate the effective stiffness. This will give a more accurate estimation compared to using a generic value of 50 kg/m3 for the apparent density.

Finally, regarding the comment on whether the result falls in the 'desired' region of property space, I would suggest referring to the provided Figure 1 for the desired range of properties for sandwich panels. You can compare the estimated values of E~ and ρeff with the desired range to determine if the result falls within it.

I hope this helps in your analysis. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need any clarification.
Scientist

1. What is the effective stiffness of a sandwich panel?

The effective stiffness of a sandwich panel is a measure of its ability to resist deformation under an applied load. It takes into account the stiffness of each layer of the panel and how they interact with each other.

2. How is the effective stiffness of a sandwich panel calculated?

The effective stiffness of a sandwich panel can be calculated using the individual stiffness values of each layer and the geometry of the panel, as well as considering the type of core material and the bonding between layers. There are various mathematical models and equations used to calculate the effective stiffness.

3. Why is the effective stiffness of a sandwich panel important?

The effective stiffness of a sandwich panel is important because it affects the panel's overall strength and ability to withstand applied loads. It is also a key factor in determining the panel's performance in different applications, such as in the aerospace or construction industries.

4. How does the core material affect the effective stiffness of a sandwich panel?

The core material of a sandwich panel plays a significant role in determining the effective stiffness. A stiffer core material, such as foam or honeycomb, will result in a higher effective stiffness, while a less stiff core, such as balsa wood or cardboard, will result in a lower effective stiffness.

5. Can the effective stiffness of a sandwich panel be improved?

Yes, the effective stiffness of a sandwich panel can be improved by using stiffer core materials, increasing the thickness of the layers, or improving the bonding between layers. The design and manufacturing process also plays a crucial role in achieving a higher effective stiffness.