Effects of drawing on the brain

In summary: Yet this is not the same with other skills. I have not rode on a bike for many many years but I can still do it now. I was wondering if that is the same for my drawing skills as I have not used it for awhile and I notice that my ability to see an object and draw has slacken off.In summary, it appears that drawing may have a physical effect on the brain. However, it is unclear if there is ever new synapse growth in learning.
Ukitake Jyuushirou
Hi all,

I am curious about the effect of long term drawing/sketching/painting on the brain. Is there any serious work being done on this topic? Would be good if someone direct me to some journal articles on this.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
i've got a book on my desk I've been meaning to try out as an attempt to foster more right-brain engagement. it is Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Proton Soup said:
i've got a book on my desk I've been meaning to try out as an attempt to foster more right-brain engagement. it is Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

Awesome awesome book.

I think it would be quite dangerous to draw on one's brain. I wouldn't experiment with it.

Math Is Hard said:
I think it would be quite dangerous to draw on one's brain. I wouldn't experiment with it.

brainbow

Math Is Hard said:

LOL

From what I understand, when one exercise regularly the heart will undergo hypertrophy to compensate for the increase workload. I'm thinking is it the same for drawing, will a part of my brain undergo some measurable change as I progress?

Proton Soup said:

I have it with me right now! I was reading her book and I was just wondering is there any serious academic research on the stuffs she is suggesting? Was there any follow up investigations about drawing and neuroscience?

DaveC426913 said:
Awesome awesome book.

I second that. You'd think it would be common sense to draw what you actually see rather than the symbolic representation of it your minds eye, but it wasn't until I read this book that I realized what I was doing wrong.

Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
From what I understand, when one exercise regularly the heart will undergo hypertrophy to compensate for the increase workload. I'm thinking is it the same for drawing, will a part of my brain undergo some measurable change as I progress?

Yes, of course the brain changes physically when you learn. The learning is embodied as increases and decreases in the strength of various synapse connections. It is not clear to me if there is ever new synapse growth in learning.

Math Is Hard said:

more humor! hurray for humor :)

Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
I have it with me right now! I was reading her book and I was just wondering is there any serious academic research on the stuffs she is suggesting? Was there any follow up investigations about drawing and neuroscience?

well, i think maybe it is the other way 'round, that her work is inspired by brain research.

don't know about drawing specifically, but there is this bit on London cabbies: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/677048.stm

some interesting research has been done with pharmaceuticals, tho.
http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip1.html

there is also quite a bit out there on the effects of brain injury wrt to drawing ability.

wait...how would you even draw on the brain

qedprigmosyno said:
wait...how would you even draw on the brain
Read it like this:

"What effect would the act of drawing have upon the brain's functioning."

DaveC426913 said:
Read it like this:

"What effect would the act of drawing have upon the brain's functioning."

Ah yes...sorry for my bad english.

I'm just hoping to look at some science literature behind something that I recently observed. I am a bilingual individual trained in English and Chinese. But due to my lack of usage in Chinese for quite a no. of years I find that my grasp of the language has drop to a point where by I struggle to write a sentence in Chinese. I hypothesize that if I do not use a certain skill for a while, it will atrophy to the point where it would seem I have never learn it before.

Yet this is not the same with other skills. I have not rode on a bike for many many years but I can still do it now. I was wondering if that is the same for my drawing skills as I have not used it for awhile and I notice that my ability to see an object and draw has slacken off.

1. How does drawing impact the brain?

Drawing has been shown to activate and strengthen neural connections in the brain. It also helps to improve fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination, as well as promoting creativity and problem-solving abilities.

2. Can drawing improve memory?

Yes, drawing has been linked to improved memory function. When we draw, we are engaging both the left and right hemispheres of the brain, which helps to build connections between different brain regions and improve overall cognitive function.

3. Does drawing have a positive effect on mental health?

Yes, drawing has been found to have a positive impact on mental health. It can help to reduce stress and anxiety, improve mood, and increase feelings of self-esteem and self-expression.

4. Are there any age restrictions for experiencing the benefits of drawing on the brain?

No, drawing can have a positive impact on the brain at any age. It has been found to be beneficial for children in terms of cognitive and motor development, as well as for adults in terms of maintaining brain function and promoting mental well-being.

5. How much time should be spent drawing to see the effects on the brain?

The amount of time needed to see the effects of drawing on the brain may vary for individuals. However, studies have shown that even just 30 minutes of drawing per day can lead to improvements in brain function and overall well-being over time.