Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effects of drawing on the brain

1. Dec 29, 2009 #1
    Hi all,

I am curious about the effect of long term drawing/sketching/painting on the brain. Is there any serious work being done on this topic? Would be good if someone direct me to some journal articles on this.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2009 #2
    i've got a book on my desk i've been meaning to try out as an attempt to foster more right-brain engagement. it is Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.

4. Dec 29, 2009 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Awesome awesome book.

5. Dec 29, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it would be quite dangerous to draw on one's brain. I wouldn't experiment with it.

6. Dec 29, 2009 #5

atyy

Science Advisor

brainbow

7. Dec 30, 2009 #6
    LOL

From what I understand, when one exercise regularly the heart will undergo hypertrophy to compensate for the increase workload. I'm thinking is it the same for drawing, will a part of my brain undergo some measurable change as I progress?

8. Dec 30, 2009 #7
    I have it with me right now!!! I was reading her book and I was just wondering is there any serious academic research on the stuffs she is suggesting? Was there any follow up investigations about drawing and neuroscience?

9. Dec 30, 2009 #8

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I second that. You'd think it would be common sense to draw what you actually see rather than the symbolic representation of it your minds eye, but it wasn't until I read this book that I realized what I was doing wrong.

10. Dec 30, 2009 #9
    Yes, of course the brain changes physically when you learn. The learning is embodied as increases and decreases in the strength of various synapse connections. It is not clear to me if there is ever new synapse growth in learning.

11. Dec 30, 2009 #10
    more humor!!! hurray for humor :)

12. Dec 30, 2009 #11
    well, i think maybe it is the other way 'round, that her work is inspired by brain research.

don't know about drawing specifically, but there is this bit on London cabbies: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/677048.stm

some interesting research has been done with pharmaceuticals, tho.
    http://www.cowboybooks.com.au/html/acidtrip1.html

there is also quite a bit out there on the effects of brain injury wrt to drawing ability.

13. Dec 30, 2009 #12
    wait.....how would you even draw on the brain

14. Dec 30, 2009 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Read it like this:

"What effect would the act of drawing have upon the brain's functioning."

15. Jan 10, 2010 #14
    Ah yes....sorry for my bad english.

I'm just hoping to look at some science literature behind something that I recently observed. I am a bilingual individual trained in English and Chinese. But due to my lack of usage in Chinese for quite a no. of years I find that my grasp of the language has drop to a point where by I struggle to write a sentence in Chinese. I hypothesize that if I do not use a certain skill for a while, it will atrophy to the point where it would seem I have never learn it before.

Yet this is not the same with other skills. I have not rode on a bike for many many years but I can still do it now. I was wondering if that is the same for my drawing skills as I have not used it for awhile and I notice that my ability to see an object and draw has slacken off.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook