What are the Effects and Timeline of Sleep Deprivation?

In summary, sleep deprivation has various negative effects on the human body, including decreased coordination, memory loss, and decreased creativity and patience. While the longest confirmed duration without sleep is 11 days, it can lead to serious health problems and even death. The CIA has used sleep deprivation as a torture technique, although it is debated whether or not it counts as torture under US law. In the short term, sleep deprivation can lead to reduced activity in certain brain areas and interfere with memory, while longer term deprivation can have more serious consequences like hallucinations. Sleep deprivation is also used as a psychological technique in interrogation, brainwashing, and negotiation. One scary effect is the occurrence of microsleep, where the brain briefly shuts down and the person falls asleep
samsracecar
As I was lying awake staring at the ceiling last night, I wondered what the effects of sleep deprivation were. Would you experience decreased coordination, memory loss, ect? A timeline would be useful, i.e. Day 1-lalalalala, like that. I have heard that the CIA once used sleep deprivation as a torture technique, but I have yet to have seen any proof. Finally, how long can a human survive without sleeping? I know that lack of sleep is lethal, but does anyone know why?

Kudos to you if you can answer all of those questions. :)

Biology news on Phys.org
There are many effects of sleep deprivation. The longest anyone has gone is 11 days (that's the longest that has been confirmed). Lack of sleep causes all sorts of health problems so fatality is probably due to a complication such as impaired would healing caused by lack of sleep.

I'm not sure about the CIA but under the Bush administration the approved enhanced interrogation techniques utilised sleep deprivation. The Bush administration denied that this counted as "torture" though many human rights activists and the current administration have argued that it is indeed that.

EDIT: seems like the CIA has used it for interrogation the argument being that it is not torture under US law, whether or not it is cruel or unusual is apparently a matter for debate.

Last edited:
Just for fun, I'll add my own personal experience from my own lack to sleep. It happens from time to time, for various natural reasons that I get too little sleep and I find it interesting to note the most common symptoms.

I've noticed these things

1) Severe lack of creativity, most things are done on routine. Solving problemsm when beeing deprived from sleep is not constructive.

2) Severely reduced patience. (actually linked to above, problem solving requires patience to skim through several angles)

3) Severly reduced attention. Selective attention wrt sound and vision. Inputs that are not of obvious importance are ignored by the brain.

/Fredrik

The duration of sleep deprivation is relevant. In the short term it leads to reduced activity in the anterior cingulate cortex. It interferes with procedural memory. Problems with declarative memory take longer to develop. It can sometimes induce hypomania, or alternatively, irritability. Performance on interference tasks (distinguishing between conflicting information inputs) declines.. Eventually, auditory hallucinations are common. Longer term deprivation has a myriad of consequences, including lowering of seizure threshold.

Sleep deprivation is a known and effective interrogation, brainwashing and negotiation technique. Psychological pressures like sensory arousal, stress and empathy are also introduced. The 'handler' continuously offers 'deals' and 'conditions' consistent with their objectives. The idea is to induce disorientation and suggestibility in the target brain.

Last edited:

What are the short-term effects of sleep deprivation?

The short-term effects of sleep deprivation include fatigue, irritability, difficulty concentrating, and decreased performance and productivity. It can also lead to mood swings and increased risk of accidents or injuries.

What are the long-term effects of sleep deprivation?

The long-term effects of sleep deprivation can have serious consequences on both physical and mental health. It can increase the risk of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. It can also lead to depression, anxiety, and other mental health issues.

How much sleep deprivation is considered dangerous?

The amount of sleep deprivation that is considered dangerous varies from person to person. Generally, getting less than 7-9 hours of sleep per night for adults is considered insufficient and can have negative effects on health and well-being. However, some individuals may require more or less than this amount.

Can sleep deprivation be reversed?

Yes, sleep deprivation can be reversed by getting an adequate amount of sleep on a regular basis. It may take some time for the body to fully recover and for the effects to subside, but with consistent and sufficient sleep, most of the negative effects of sleep deprivation can be reversed.

How can I prevent sleep deprivation?

To prevent sleep deprivation, it is important to prioritize sleep and establish a regular sleep schedule. This includes going to bed and waking up at the same time each day, creating a comfortable sleep environment, and avoiding stimulants such as caffeine close to bedtime. Additionally, managing stress and practicing good sleep hygiene can also help prevent sleep deprivation.