Calculate Distance to Drop Egg on Physics Professor's Head

In summary, to drop an egg on your professor's head, the professor should be 3.76 meters away from the building when the egg is released.
starchild75

Homework Statement

You are on the roof of a physics building, which is 46.0 m above the ground. Your physics professor, who is 1.80 m tall, is walking alongside the building at a constant rate of 1.20 m/s. If you wish to drop an egg on your professor's head, how far from the building should the professor be when you release the egg?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took 46.0 and subtracted 1.80 for the height of the professor. That gave me 44.2 m. I then divided that by 9.80 m/s^2 for acceleration due to gravity. That gave me 4.51 s. I then divided that by 1.20 m/s for the velocity of the professor. This gave me an answer of 3.76 m. I typed this in and the masteringphysics said not quite, that I may have a slight error in calculuation or used the wrong number of significant figures. I recalculated several times and kept getting 3.76. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
44.2m divided by 9.80 m/s^2 yields 4.51 seconds squared.
Careful with those units. You're solving an equation not cooking up a spell in a cauldron. Work it out carefully from the actual equations, e.g.
[tex] x(t) = \frac{1}{2}a t^2 + v_0 t + x_0[/tex]
You're solving for [itex]t[/itex] in this equation with [itex]v_0 = 0[/itex] and with [itex] x-x_0 = 44.2 m[/itex].
The answer is then not [itex] t = 4.51[/itex] seconds.

Using your formula, I got 3 seconds for the drop and the professor should be 2.5 meters. is that more accurate?

Last edited:
starchild75 said:
Using your formula, I got 3 seconds for the drop and the professor should be 2.5 meters. is that more accurate?

It isn't a matter of accuracy but of correctness. You should have used this formula from the start. Just because you can often finagle out a multiple choice answer by doing alchemy on the numbers given in the problem doesn't mean you're learning anything. You MUST work the problem using the physics of the circumstance. This formula should be in your text. You should have invoked it immediately.

As to whether this is the correct answer, you'll have to submit it and see if the computer accepts it as correct, but the formula represents the position of a constantly accelerated object given its initial position and velocity. This is the case for your water balloon. You can as easily apply it to the professor with a=0, and make sure your figurin' is correct with respect to how far he moves in the time you've determined.

Your original approach however makes me despair for our young students.

It's not a multiple choice question. You have no idea what I have been going through the last few weeks, so don't judge me. Watching someone you care about take their last breaths makes it a little bit more difficult to focus on which formulas work for which situations. If you want to point me in the right direction, fine. But if you're going to condescend, I'll get help elsewhere.

Last edited:
starchild75 said:
It's not a multiple choice question. You have no idea what I have been going through the last few weeks, so don't judge me. Watching someone you care about take their last breaths makes it a little bit more difficult to focus on which formulas work for which situations. If you want to point me in the right direction, fine. But if you're going to condescend, I'll get help elsewhere.

I beg your pardon. You're correct I shouldn't have made assumptions, nor expressed them.
You have my deepest apology.

FAQ: Calculate Distance to Drop Egg on Physics Professor's Head

1. How do you calculate the distance to drop an egg on a physics professor's head?

The distance can be calculated using the equation d = (1/2)gt^2, where d is the distance in meters, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time in seconds.

2. What factors affect the distance an egg will travel when dropped on a physics professor's head?

The factors that affect the distance include the height from which the egg is dropped, the mass of the egg, and the air resistance. The height and mass can be controlled, but air resistance can vary depending on the environment.

3. Can the distance to drop an egg on a physics professor's head be calculated using a different equation?

Yes, there are other equations that can be used to calculate the distance, such as the kinematic equations or the energy conservation equation. However, the equation d = (1/2)gt^2 is the simplest and most commonly used for this scenario.

4. Is there a specific height or distance that guarantees the egg will break on impact?

No, there is no specific height or distance that guarantees the egg will break on impact. It depends on the factors mentioned in question 2, as well as the strength of the eggshell. The egg may break at a lower height if it is dropped with more force or at a higher height if it is dropped with less force.

5. What is the purpose of calculating the distance to drop an egg on a physics professor's head?

The purpose is to demonstrate the principles of physics, such as gravity and projectile motion, in a fun and memorable way. It can also be used as a learning tool for students to understand and apply equations and concepts in a real-life scenario.

Back