Do neutral atom collisions affect the continuous nature of black body radiation?

In summary: It depends on the substance. For example, in the case of a gas, the individual particles are constantly moving and so the energy is dispersed more evenly. On the other hand, in the case of a solid, the energy is stored more densely in the form of particles and so the energy is more concentrated in particular locations.
Getterdog
I’ve read everything I can here and in the stack exchange on the topic of the continuous nature of black body radiation and it’s been really helpful,but I’m lead now to this question. Do neutral atom collisions shift the eigenfunctions,during the collisions? Do collisions create temporary dipoles? I’m Assuming no free electrons,just collisions in neutral atoms.thanks jk

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume by not free you are regarding an electron as belonging to some atom or another. In an interaction it is not so clear cut.

Getterdog said:
Do neutral atom collisions shift the eigenfunctions,during the collisions? Do collisions create temporary dipoles?
Yes to both. The van der Waals interaction leads to the polarisation of two atoms that are not too far from each other. This can be seen as shifting the energy levels with respect to the isolated atom.

Likes bhobba
Getterdog said:
I’ve read everything I can here and in the stack exchange on the topic of the continuous nature of black body radiation and it’s been really helpful,but I’m lead now to this question. Do neutral atom collisions shift the eigenfunctions,during the collisions? Do collisions create temporary dipoles? I’m Assuming no free electrons,just collisions in neutral atoms.thanks jk

In some collisions we can think of the wave function of the two-atom system as a product of the wave function for the internal motion in the atoms (relative position of electrons w.r.t. the nuclei) and a wave function for the center of mass motion of the atoms. Then you can model the collision in a way where the internal motion eigenstates change temporarily when the atoms get close enough to interact. In some other cases the two atoms can form a bound state, as in the recombination of two chlorine atoms to form a ##Cl_2## molecule - then you can't write the final state wavefunction in the same way as a combination of separate atoms because there's a covalent bond formed.

hilbert2 said:
In some collisions we can think of the wave function of the two-atom system as a product of the wave function for the internal motion in the atoms (relative position of electrons w.r.t. the nuclei) and a wave function for the center of mass motion of the atoms. Then you can model the collision in a way where the internal motion eigenstates change temporarily when the atoms get close enough to interact. In some other cases the two atoms can form a bound state, as in the recombination of two chlorine atoms to form a ##Cl_2## molecule - then you can't write the final state wavefunction in the same way as a combination of separate atoms because there's a covalent bond formed.
Does this then account for the more or less continuous distribution of energy for a monoatomic nonionized substance? Thanks jk

1. What are eigenfunctions and how are they related to collisions?

Eigenfunctions are mathematical functions that represent the possible states of a system. They are often used to describe the energy levels of particles in a collision. In collisions, eigenfunctions are used to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes and to determine the final states of the particles involved.

2. How do eigenfunctions help us understand collisions?

Eigenfunctions allow us to break down the complex dynamics of collisions into simpler mathematical representations. By using eigenfunctions, we can better understand the probabilities of different outcomes and make predictions about the behavior of particles involved in the collision.

3. Can eigenfunctions be used to describe all types of collisions?

No, eigenfunctions are typically used to describe quantum collisions, where particles behave according to the principles of quantum mechanics. Classical collisions, which follow the laws of classical mechanics, are usually described using different mathematical tools.

4. How are eigenfunctions determined in collisions?

Eigenfunctions are determined through mathematical calculations and simulations based on the principles of quantum mechanics. These calculations take into account the properties of the particles involved, such as mass and charge, as well as the forces acting on them during the collision.

5. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in studying collisions?

Eigenfunctions are essential in studying collisions because they allow us to make precise predictions about the behavior of particles and the outcomes of collisions. They also provide a deeper understanding of the physical processes involved in collisions, which can have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and nuclear physics.