Eigenfunctions of Laplace operator on a squere with finite differences

In summary, the Laplace operator on a square with finite differences is a mathematical operator used to describe the behavior of a system. Eigenfunctions are special functions that return a multiple of themselves when acted upon by the Laplace operator. To calculate eigenfunctions, numerical methods such as the finite difference or finite element methods are used. Eigenfunctions are important because they represent the fundamental modes of behavior of a system and can be used to solve real-world problems, such as modeling heat flow or electronic circuits.
pomaranca

Homework Statement

I want to numerically compute the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of Laplace operator on a square with Dirichlet boundary conditions (i.e. [tex]u|_{\partial}=0[/tex]). Exact analytical solutions are well known sinusoidal modes: [tex]u_{m,n}(x,y)=\sin(k_mx)\sin(k_ny) [/tex], where [tex]k_m=m\frac{\pi}{a}[/tex] and .[tex]k_n=n\frac{\pi}{a}[/tex], the length of a square side is [tex]a[/tex].

Homework Equations

We are numerically solving the following equation:
[tex]\nabla^2u(x,y)=\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial y^2}=k^2u(x,y)[/tex]
on a square grid of size [tex]N\times N[/tex], where points are separated by [tex]h=a/N[/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

Two dimensional Laplace operator is replaced with simple finite differences on a square grid.
[tex]\nabla^2u(x,y)=\frac{u_{i,j}-2u_{i,j}+u_{i-1,j}}{h^2}+\frac{u_{i,j+1}-2u_{i,j}+u_{i,j-1}}{h^2}[/tex]
The problem thus gets the form:
[tex]u_{i+1,j}+u_{i-1,j}+u_{i,j+1}+u_{i,j-1}-4u_{i,j}=h^2k^2u_{i,j}[/tex]
Which can be written as a typical matrix eigenvalue problem:
[tex]{\bf A}{\bf u}=\lambda{\bf u}[/tex]
The matrix [tex]\bf A[/tex] is square and has the following form for [tex]N=3[/tex]:
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccccccccc}
-4 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & -4 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & -4 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 & 1 & -4 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & -4 & 1 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & -4 & 1 & 0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & -4 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & -4 & 1 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 1 & -4
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
We can now use some numerical library to find eigenvalues and eigenfunctions of [tex]\bf A[/tex].

What i don't know is where and how to take the boundary conditions into account.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you help me?

your goal is to find solutions to problems using a systematic and rigorous approach. In this case, you are trying to numerically compute eigenfunctions and eigenvalues for the Laplace operator on a square with Dirichlet boundary conditions. To do this, you have correctly identified the problem as a matrix eigenvalue problem, and have provided a matrix representation for this problem. However, as you have noted, you need to take the boundary conditions into account in order to find the correct solutions.

To incorporate the boundary conditions, you can use the method of finite differences, which you have already used to discretize the Laplace operator. This method involves approximating the derivatives at the boundary points using neighboring interior points. In this case, you can use a second-order central difference scheme to approximate the derivatives, which will give you a system of equations that takes into account the boundary conditions.

For example, for the boundary points on the left side of the square, you can use the following equation to approximate the second derivative:

\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2}\bigg|_{x=0}=\frac{u_{i,j}-2u_{i,j}+u_{i+1,j}}{h^2}

Similarly, for the boundary points on the top side of the square, you can use the following equation:

\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial y^2}\bigg|_{y=a}=\frac{u_{i,j}-2u_{i,j}+u_{i,j-1}}{h^2}

By incorporating these approximations into your system of equations, you will be able to take the boundary conditions into account and find the correct solutions.

In summary, to find the eigenfunctions and eigenvalues of the Laplace operator on a square with Dirichlet boundary conditions, you can use the method of finite differences to discretize the problem and incorporate the boundary conditions. You can then use a numerical library to solve the resulting matrix eigenvalue problem and find the desired solutions.

1. What is the Laplace operator on a square with finite differences?

The Laplace operator on a square with finite differences is a mathematical operator that is used to describe the behavior of a system at a particular point in space. It is often used in physics and engineering to model the flow of heat or electricity through a medium.

2. What are eigenfunctions in relation to the Laplace operator on a square with finite differences?

Eigenfunctions are special functions that, when acted upon by the Laplace operator, return a multiple of themselves. In other words, an eigenfunction is a solution to the equation Δu = λu, where Δ is the Laplace operator and λ is a constant known as an eigenvalue.

3. How are eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator on a square with finite differences calculated?

To find the eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator on a square with finite differences, one can use numerical methods such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. These methods involve discretizing the square into a grid and solving the resulting system of equations to find the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenfunctions.

4. What is the significance of eigenfunctions in studying the behavior of a system?

Eigenfunctions are important because they represent the fundamental modes of vibration or behavior of a system. By finding the eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator on a square with finite differences, we can gain insight into the behavior of the system and make predictions about how it will respond to different stimuli.

5. Can the eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator on a square with finite differences be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the eigenfunctions of the Laplace operator on a square with finite differences can be used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as modeling heat flow in a building or predicting the behavior of electronic circuits. By understanding the fundamental eigenfunctions of a system, we can make accurate predictions and optimize the performance of these systems.