1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eigenvalue problem using Bessel Functions

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Bessels equation of order n is given as the following:

[tex] y'' + \frac{1}{x}y' + (1 - \frac{n^2}{x^2})y = 0 [/tex]

In a previous question I proved that Bessels equation of order n=0 has the following property:

[tex] J_0'(x) = -J_1(x) [/tex]

Where J(x) are Bessel functions of order n=0 and order n=1 respectively.

Use this property to solve the eigenvalue problem:

[tex] \frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r(\frac{d\phi}{dr}))+ \lambda^2\phi = 0 [/tex]

where we have:

[tex] 0 < r < a [/tex]

[tex] \frac{d\phi}{dr}(a) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \phi(0) [/tex] bounded

2. Relevant equations

The question about the special property:
    The power series for the nth Bessel function is

[tex] J_n(x) = (\frac{x}{n})^n\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^m}{m!(n+m)!}(\frac{x}{2})^{2m} [/tex]

Use this to show that:

[tex] J_{n+1}(x) = -x^n\frac{d}{dx}(x^{-n}J_n(x)) [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

*Phew, that was alot of latex!*

I've tried expanding:

using the product rule, into something more familiar to see if I can make some sort of relation to the property I am supposed to use. Any help is appreciated, I've spent a lot of time rearranging terms and trying to relate things but can't quite put my finger on it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2008 #2
    In case anyone is interested, I think this is right:

Like I was trying before we expand:

we get:

[tex] \phi''+\frac{1}{r}\phi'+\lambda^2\phi = 0 [/tex]

To get this into a more "familiar" form of bessels equation, multiply everything by [tex] r^2 [/tex]:

[tex] r^2\phi"" + r\phi'+(r^2\lambda^2-0^2)\phi = 0 [/tex]

Which is exactly Bessel's equation of order n=0.

Digging into a textbook we can learn that the following is a solution to this equation:

[tex] \phi(r) = C_1J_0(\lambda r) + C_2Y_0(\lambda r) [/tex]

Since in our problem we are told that [tex] \phi(0) [/tex] is bounded. But looking into our text we find that [tex] Y_0(x) [/tex] is some ghastly function with [tex] ln(x) [/tex] inside of it. Since [tex] ln(x) [/tex] is not bounded at 0, we can conclude that [tex] C_2 = 0 [/tex].

Our second condition says:

[tex] \frac{d\phi}{dr}(a) = 0 [/tex]

then we must have

[tex] \phi'(a) = -\lambda C_1J_0(\lambda a) = 0 [/tex]

So we'll throw out the case that [tex] C_1 [/tex] is zero because it isn't interesting. But if [tex] C_1 [/tex] is not equal to zero then we either require [tex] \lambda = 0 [/tex] or [tex] J_0(\lambda a) = 0 [/tex]

Then if [tex] x_1, x_2, x_3, . . . [/tex] are roots of [tex] J_0(\lambda a) [/tex] we get [tex] \lambda = \frac{x_1}{a}, \frac{x_2}{a}, \frac{x_3}{a} . . . [/tex]

If I'm missing something or this is completely wrong, someone let me know! :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?