Eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix

In summary, the lecturer explains that a density matrix for a pure state only has one non-zero eigenvalue, equal to one. This may not be immediately apparent, but in the diagonal basis it is true. The density matrix can be written as | \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_i | with eigenvalues \delta_{ij}. This is demonstrated with an example of \rho = | - \rangle \langle - |, where | - \rangle is an eigenvector with eigenvalue 1. The lecturer clarifies that this is only true in the basis of its eigenvectors.
barnflakes
My lecturer keeps telling me that if a density matrix describes a pure state then it must contain only one non-zero eigenvalue which is equal to one. However I can't see how this is true, particularly as I have seen a matrix [tex]\rho_A = \begin{pmatrix} 1/2 & - 1/2 \\ -1/2 & 1/2 \\ \end{pmatrix}[/tex] for which this is not true. He then clarified that if it was in "the diagonal basis" this was true. Can someone clarify this for me or show me a proof please?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess he means that you can write a density matrix as
[tex]\rho = | \psi_i \rangle \langle \psi_i |[/tex]
Which has eigenvalues [itex]\delta_{ij}[/itex] since
[tex]\rho |\psi_j \rangle = \delta_{ij} |\psi_i \rangle[/tex].
The example you gave can be written as [itex]\rho = | - \rangle \langle - |[/itex], where [tex]| - \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ -1\end{pmatrix}[/tex] which has [itex]| - \rangle[/itex] as an eigenvector, with eigenvalue 1.

Is that true? I thought $\psi_i \rangle$ and $\psi_j \rangle$ weren't necessarily orthogonal. He also definitely said that when it's pure it only has one non-zero eigenvalue. Maybe he means only in the basis of its eigenvectors, I don't know? That's what I'm trying to find out.

Yeah I think it is the basis of its eigenvectors. I think you can always take a pure state as one possible basis vector. E.g. if you have [itex]|\psi_a \rangle = \alpha |0 \rangle + \beta |1 \rangle[/itex] then the other one is [itex]|\psi_b \rangle = \alpha |0 \rangle - \beta |1 \rangle[/itex]. I can't remember if/how this generalizes to higher dimensions though. :blushing: Maybe Gram-Schmidt?

1. What are eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix?

Eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix are the set of values that represent the possible states of a quantum system. These values correspond to the coefficients of the eigenvectors of the reduced density matrix, and they provide information about the probability of finding the system in a particular state.

2. How are eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix related to entanglement?

Eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix are used to measure the amount of entanglement between two or more particles in a quantum system. The presence of non-zero eigenvalues indicates entanglement between the particles, while a zero eigenvalue indicates no entanglement.

3. Can the eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix change over time?

Yes, the eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix can change over time as the quantum system evolves. This is because the system's state can change, and therefore the probabilities of finding the system in different states can also change.

4. How are eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix calculated?

The eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix can be calculated using linear algebra techniques, such as diagonalization or singular value decomposition. These methods allow for the extraction of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, which can then be used to determine the system's state and probabilities.

5. What information can be obtained from the eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix?

The eigenvalues of a reduced density matrix can provide information about the quantum system's state and the probabilities of finding the system in different states. They can also be used to measure entanglement and other properties of the system, making them valuable tools for studying and understanding quantum systems.