Finding Eigenvalues of an Operator with Infinite Basis

In summary, the homework equations state that:-AB-BC=0-\langle n | m \rangle=\delta_{n,m}-(|n\rangle\langle m|)^{\dagger}=|m \rangle\langle n |
CharlieCW
I just began graduate school and was struggling a bit with some basic notions, so if you could give me some suggestions or point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

1. Homework Statement

Given an infinite base of orthonormal states in the Hilbert space, ##|n\rangle_{n\in\N}##, and the following operators:

$$s_+=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|2n+1\rangle\langle2n|$$

$$s_-=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|2n\rangle\langle2n+1|$$

$$s_z=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(|2n+1\rangle\langle2n+1|+|2n\rangle\langle2n|)$$

Find the eigenvalues of the operator,

$$n_s=\vec{n}\cdot\vec{s}=cos\theta s_z +sin\theta (e^{i\phi}s_-+e^{-i\phi}s_+)$$

where ##\vec{n}=(cos\theta,sin\theta cos\phi,sin\theta sin\phi)##

Homework Equations

$$[A,B]=AB-BC$$
$$\langle n | m \rangle=\delta_{n,m}$$
$$(|n\rangle\langle m|)^{\dagger}=|m \rangle\langle n |$$

The Attempt at a Solution

To determine the eigenvalues of ##n_s## we just apply it to the state ##|n\rangle##:

$$n_s|n\rangle=(cos\theta s_z +sin\theta e^{i\phi}s_-+sin\theta e^{-i\phi}s_+)|n\rangle$$

We can begin by calculating the conmutators of the operators:

$$[s_+,s_-]=s_z$$

$$[s_-,s_z]=2s_+$$

$$[s_z,s_+]=2s_-$$

It is also worth noting that we directly observe that $$(s_+)^{\dagger}=s_-$$ and viceversa.

By applying the operators to the state $$|n'\rangle$$ we can also easily verify:

$$s_+|n'\rangle=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|2n+1\rangle\langle2n|n'\rangle=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|2n+1\rangle\delta_{2n,n'}=c_{n+}|n'+1\rangle$$

$$s_-|n'\rangle=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|2n\rangle\langle2n+1|n'\rangle=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|2n\rangle\delta_{2n+1,n'}=c_{n-}|n'-1\rangle$$

Where ##c_{n+}## and ##c_{n-}## are just underdetermined constants. Thus we can call ##s_+## the creator and ##s_-## the anhilitation operators for this case.

Let's begin by determining ##c_{n+}##:

$$\langle n|s_-s_+|n\rangle=c_{n+}\langle n|s_-|n+1\rangle=|c_{n+}|^{2}\langle n+1|n+1\rangle=|c_{n+}|^{2}$$

Where in the last steps I used the conjugate relationship ##(s_+)^{\dagger}=s_-##. But also we have, using the conmutator relationships:

$$\langle n|s_-s_+|n\rangle=\langle n |s_z-s_+s_-|n\rangle=\langle n |s_z|n\rangle-\langle|s_+s_-|\rangle=|c_{nz}|^2\langle n |n\rangle-|c_{n-}|^{2}=|c_{nz}|^{2}-|c_{n-}|^{2}$$

Where the last step was done by analogy:

$$|c_{n+}|^{2}=|c_{nz}|^2-|c_{n-}|^2$$

By determining ##c_{n-}## in the same way, we arrive at:

$$|c_{n-}|^{2}=|c_{nz}|^2+|c_{n+}|^2$$

However, I'm not entirely sure how to determine ##c_{nz}## as I cannot conjugate it with the other operators, i.e., only ##(s_+)^{\dagger}=s_-## holds true. Moreover, I have the impression I'm complicating this a bit, as I think there should be an easier way to determine the eigenvalues of each operator.

On the other hand, since the operators don't conmute, we can't just find the eigenvalues of each term and add them together. In this case, I don't know exactly how to work it around for an infinite basis, as all the examples I've read in Sakurai and Weinberg are for a finite basis and/or operators that conmute.

My idea for this case would be, once I find the eigenvalues of each operator:

$$\langle n|n_s|n\rangle=\langle n|(cos\theta s_z +sin\theta e^{i\phi}s_-+sin\theta e^{-i\phi}s_+)|n\rangle=\langle n| (cos\theta c_{nz}|n\rangle + sin\theta e^{i\phi}c_{n-}|n-1\rangle + sin\theta e^{-i\phi}c_{n+}|n+1\rangle)=\langle n |cos\theta c_{nz}|n\rangle=cos\theta c_{nz}$$

Since the other terms vanish by the orthonormality condition ##\langle n | m \rangle=\delta_{n,m}##

Physics news on Phys.org
.Is this the right approach to finding the eigenvalues of ##n_s##? Could you point me in the right direction?Thanks in advance.

1. What are eigenvalues of a sum operator?

The eigenvalues of a sum operator refer to the values that, when multiplied by a given vector, result in a scaled version of the same vector. In other words, they are the values that do not change the direction of the vector but only scale it.

2. How are eigenvalues of a sum operator calculated?

To calculate the eigenvalues of a sum operator, we first need to find the characteristic polynomial of the operator. This can be done by subtracting the scalar multiple of the identity matrix from the sum operator. Then, the eigenvalues are the roots of the characteristic polynomial.

3. Why are eigenvalues of a sum operator important?

Eigenvalues of a sum operator are important because they provide valuable information about the behavior of the operator. They can indicate whether the operator is invertible or not, and they can also be used to determine the stability of a system described by the operator.

4. How do eigenvalues of a sum operator relate to eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. The eigenvalues represent the scaling factor of the eigenvectors, which are the vectors that do not change direction when multiplied by the operator. The eigenvectors corresponding to a specific eigenvalue form the eigenspace of that eigenvalue.

5. Can the eigenvalues of a sum operator change?

Yes, the eigenvalues of a sum operator can change if the operator itself changes. Any change in the matrix elements of the operator will result in a change in the eigenvalues. However, the number of eigenvalues and their properties, such as being real or complex, remain the same for a given operator.