Eigenvalues of an equation

In summary, the conversation discusses an eigenvalue problem with the equation -(x^2y')' = λy and boundary conditions y(1) = y(2) = 0. The speaker mentions trying to plug in y = xa and obtaining the equation a^2 + a + λ = 0, which leads to the conclusion that λ < 1/4 for a solution to exist. The question is raised about whether every λ smaller than 1/4 is an eigenvalue and if there are other methods to find solutions. The expert suggests considering complex roots and using a change of variable to convert the equation to one with constant coefficients. It is also noted that there are exactly 2 eigenvalues for this second order linear
krocho
hi I have the following eigenvalue problem
-(x2y')'=λy for 1<x<2
y(1)=y(2)=0

I tried plugging an equation y=xa
and you get the equation
a2+a+λ=0
so for this I get that λ<1/4 to hava a solution. So does this mean, every λ smaller than 1/4 is an eigenvalue?
do you know what else I could do?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
krocho said:
hi I have the following eigenvalue problem
-(x2y')'=λy for 1<x<2
y(1)=y(2)=0

I tried plugging an equation y=xa
and you get the equation
a2+a+λ=0
so for this I get that λ<1/4 to hava a solution. So does this mean, every λ smaller than 1/4 is an eigenvalue?
do you know what else I could do?

thanks
Why should [tex]\lambda[/tex] be less than 1/4? That would make the powers of x real numbers but why would that be necessary? In fact, if the powers of x were real numbers wouldn't that make it impossible to satisfy y(1)= y(2)= 0?

What do solutions to such an equation look like if the characteristic equation has complex roots? Hint: the change of variable t= ln(x) converts an "Euler-type" equation to an equation with constant coefficients having the same characteristic equation.

Also, since this is a second order linear equation, it has exactly 2 eigenvalues.

1. What are eigenvalues of an equation?

Eigenvalues of an equation are the values that satisfy the equation when the equation is treated as a matrix equation. In other words, they are the values that make the equation solvable.

2. Why are eigenvalues important?

Eigenvalues are important because they provide information about the behavior and properties of a matrix. They are used in many areas of mathematics and science, such as linear algebra, differential equations, and physics.

3. How are eigenvalues calculated?

Eigenvalues can be calculated using various methods, such as the characteristic polynomial method or the diagonalization method. These methods involve manipulating the matrix to find its characteristic equation and then solving for the eigenvalues.

4. What do the eigenvalues of an equation represent?

The eigenvalues of an equation represent the scaling factor of the corresponding eigenvector. In other words, they represent how the eigenvector is stretched or compressed when it is multiplied by the original matrix.

5. Can a matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigenvalues. This occurs when the matrix has complex entries or when the eigenvalues are imaginary numbers. In this case, the eigenvectors will also have complex entries.