Eigenvectors & subspace spanning

In summary: Except they're not eigenvalues, they're eigenvectors.Oh, oops. I mean to write eigenvectors. Just to be clear, does the method make sense if I had written the word eigenvectors instead of eigenvalues?Yes, it does.
AngrySaki
The question is at the end of a chapter on spanning vector spaces.

Homework Statement

Let P denote an invertible n x n matrix.
If [tex]\lambda[/tex] is a number, show that

[tex]E_{\lambda}(PAP^{-1}) = \left\{PX | X\;is\;in\;E_{\lambda}(A)\right\}[/tex]

for each n x n matrix A. [Here [tex]E_{\lambda}(A)}[/tex] is the set of eigenvectors of A.]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble understanding what the equality means, or how to read it.
The left side looks to be the eigenvectors of a diagonal matrix, which I think are always the columns of an identity matrix.

On the right side, I assume the matrix P would be the eigenvectors of A, so I think it's the span of the products of P multiplied by each of it's columns.

I don't know what to make of those ideas, so I think I'm either missing something about eigenvectors or spanning (very possible), or reading the question wrong.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The matrix PAP-1 is diagonal if the columns of P are the eigenvectors of A, but you don't know anything about P other than it's invertible.

Let B=PAP-1. What the question is asking you to show is that the eigenvectors of B are of the form Px and that Px is an eigenvector of B, where x is an eigenvector of A.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Does this makes sense as an answer?

Eigenvalues of A can be written:
[tex](\lambda I -A)X=0[/tex]

So the right side of the original equation is:
[tex]P(\lambda I -A)X=0[/tex]

Move the P inside:
[tex](\lambda P -PA)X=0[/tex]

Multiply by I:
[tex](\lambda P -PA)P^{-1}PX=0[/tex]

Move P inverse inside:
[tex](\lambda PP^{-1} -PAP^{-1})PX=0[/tex]

Eigenvalues of PAP-1 are of the form PX:
[tex](\lambda I -PAP^{-1})PX=0[/tex]

Except they're not eigenvalues, they're eigenvectors.

Oh, oops. I mean to write eigenvectors.

Just to be clear, does the method makes sense if I had written the word eigenvectors instead of eigenvalues?

AngrySaki said:
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Does this makes sense as an answer?

Eigenvalues of A can be written:
[tex](\lambda I -A)X=0[/tex]
More correctly, "if X is an eigenvector of A, with eigenvalue [itex]\lambda[/itex], then
[tex](\lambda I- A)X= 0[/tex]"

So the right side of the original equation is:
[tex]P(\lambda I -A)X=0[/tex]

Move the P inside:
[tex](\lambda P -PA)X=0[/tex]

Multiply by I:
[tex](\lambda P -PA)P^{-1}PX=0[/tex]

Move P inverse inside:
[tex](\lambda PP^{-1} -PAP^{-1})PX=0[/tex]

Eigenvalues of PAP-1 are of the form PX:
[tex](\lambda I -PAP^{-1})PX=0[/tex]

1. What are Eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that do not change their direction when a linear transformation is applied to them. They only change in magnitude by a scalar value.

2. What is the significance of Eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are important in understanding linear transformations and their behavior. They provide a basis for representing and analyzing complex systems, such as in quantum mechanics and data analysis.

3. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. This means that any linear combination of vectors in the subspace will also be in the subspace.

4. How do Eigenvectors relate to subspaces?

Eigenvectors can form a basis for a subspace, meaning they can span the subspace. This is because they are linearly independent, and any vector in the subspace can be expressed as a linear combination of the Eigenvectors.

5. Can a subspace be spanned by multiple sets of Eigenvectors?

Yes, a subspace can be spanned by multiple sets of Eigenvectors. Different sets of Eigenvectors can span the same subspace, as long as they are linearly independent. In fact, any basis for a subspace can be expressed as a set of Eigenvectors.