What Could Einstein Have Thought About String Theory?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the hypothetical thoughts of Einstein on String Theory. The participants discuss the possible differences it could make and the motivation behind asking such a question. They also mention Einstein's position on quantum mechanics and his potential thoughts on the theory's mathematical beauty but experimental impossibility. Despite varying opinions, it is suggested that Einstein would have likely supported the unification of all forces. However, it is also acknowledged that it is impossible to accurately speculate on Einstein's thoughts without considering the advancements in quantum mechanics after his death.
alvarogz
Dears,

What do you think, hypothetically, Einstein should think about String Theory?. Obviously, if he was here to study it.

Physics news on Phys.org
alvarogz said:
Dears,

What do you think, hypothetically, Einstein should think about String Theory?. Obviously, if he was here to study it.
Just out of curiosuity, what possible difference do you think it can it make to anything what people who are not Einstein think that he MIGHT have thought about string theory? I just always find this kind of meaningless hypothetical SUCH a waste of time and I wonder what is your motivation in asking it?

phinds said:
Just out of curiosuity, what possible difference do you think it can it make to anything what people who are not Einstein think that he MIGHT have thought about string theory? I just always find this kind of meaningless hypothetical SUCH a waste of time and I wonder what is your motivation in asking it?
I think there's a lot of difference, taking in account the dissagreement of AE with QM, which has been validated over the time since his death.
I would like to know if he would be disagreed with this theory, or not, based in current research of ST.
Don't waste your time replying if you don't want to do this mental excercise.
Thank you.

Have you read this article from the American Physical Society?

alvarogz said:
I think there's a lot of difference ...
First, let me emphasize that I am not trying to give you a hard time here. I am genuinely interested in why it is that I do not understand the reasons behind such questions. Yours is certainly not the only one. They crop up here fairly often and that is why they interest me. The quote fragment above gives no answer whatsoever to my question. I know that you think it makes some kind of difference to something, else you would not have asked the question. I just can't figure out WHAT it would make a difference to. As far as I can tell, it will have no impact on anything and since any answer you get will be pure conjecture, I don't see how it will promote your own knowledge. So clearly I'm missing something in your motivation for asking the question and I'm asking if you can help me understand what that is.

Don't waste your time replying if you don't want to do this mental excercise.
Thank you.
You misunderstand. I AM doing a mental exercise in that I, like you, am attempting to find the answer to a question that interests me. The answer to my question is why does your question interest you.

phinds said:
First, let me emphasize that I am not trying to give you a hard time here. I am genuinely interested in why it is that I do not understand the reasons behind such questions. Yours is certainly not the only one. They crop up here fairly often and that is why they interest me. The quote fragment above gives no answer whatsoever to my question. I know that you think it makes some kind of difference to something, else you would not have asked the question. I just can't figure out WHAT it would make a difference to. As far as I can tell, it will have no impact on anything and since any answer you get will be pure conjecture, I don't see how it will promote your own knowledge. So clearly I'm missing something in your motivation for asking the question and I'm asking if you can help me understand what that is.

You misunderstand. I AM doing a mental exercise in that I, like you, am attempting to find the answer to a question that interests me. The answer to my question is why does your question interest you.

Ok. Let's put this in perspective.
Einstein was the precursor of GR and he wasn't agreed with QM. String Theory basically relies on both, QM and GR.
What would he think about this theory, that is mathematically beautiful, but experimentally impossible to test?
What would he think about those 10 or 11 dimensions?.
I'm not seeking any impact or make any difference. I'm not persuing something in concrete. I just want to read your conjectures.
You can replace the subject if you want. I'm using Einstein example because of his critical position on QM.
I hope I was clear enough

alvarogz said:
Einstein was the precursor of GR and he wasn't agreed with QM. String Theory basically relies on both, QM and GR.
What would he think about this theory, that is mathematically beautiful, but experimentally impossible to test?
I'm not seeking any impact or make any difference. I'm not persuing something in concrete. I just want to read your conjectures.
You can replace the subject if you want. I'm using Einstein example because of his critical position on QM.
I hope I was clear enough
Thanks for that attempt to answer my question. I still don't get it, but don't worry about it. Guess it's just me.

In case I'm not clear by the way, I DO get what you are asking I just don't get what you hope to gain by an answer.

Einstein spent much of his time in the latter part of his career trying to unify gravity and electromagnetism (the nuclear forces hadn't been discovered yet). I believe he would look favorably on any attempt to unify all forces.

alvarogz said:

Who knows? There were at least two major advances in the interpretation of quantum mechanics between Einstein's death and the birth of string theory. To even speculate creatively and productively on this topic we'd first need to successfully speculate about how Einstein would have reacted to the Bell/Aspect experiments and then the discovery of decoherence.

That's getting to be random enough to close the thread. We can reopen it for genuine new insights (as opposed to speculation) and links to valuable references along the lines of the one that vagn posted.

FAQ: What Could Einstein Have Thought About String Theory?

1. Who was Albert Einstein and why is he important in relation to string theory?

Albert Einstein was a renowned theoretical physicist who revolutionized our understanding of the universe through his groundbreaking theories of relativity. He is important in relation to string theory because his work on general relativity laid the foundation for the study of the fundamental principles of the universe, which string theory seeks to explain.

2. What is string theory and how does it relate to Einstein's theories?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all of the known forces and particles in the universe by describing them as different vibrations of tiny, one-dimensional strings. It relates to Einstein's theories of general and special relativity by incorporating the principles of spacetime and gravity into its equations.

3. How does string theory attempt to explain the concept of the "fabric of space and time"?

String theory proposes that the fabric of space and time is made up of tiny, vibrating strings that interact with each other to create everything in the universe. These strings are thought to be the fundamental building blocks of all matter and energy, and their vibrations determine the properties and behavior of particles and forces.

4. Is string theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

String theory is a highly debated topic in the scientific community, with some scientists supporting its potential to unify our understanding of the universe, while others criticize its lack of empirical evidence and testability. As of now, string theory remains a theoretical concept and has not been proven or disproven.

5. What are the potential implications of string theory if it were to be proven correct?

If string theory were to be proven correct, it would revolutionize our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in the fields of physics and cosmology. It could also provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature and the origin of the universe.