Solving Einstein Equation Confusion: My Notes vs Freidmann Equations

In summary, it seems that there is a discrepancy in the given equation, with some sources stating that the trace is -R+4Λ while others suggest it should be +Λ. This inconsistency can cause confusion, but it is likely a typo and should be brought to the attention of the tutor or professor.
latentcorpse
My notes for a particular course say that [itex]G_{ab} - \Lambda g_{ab}= x T_{ab}[/itex] where [itex]x=\frac{8 \pi G}{c^4}[/itex]
Then they say that the trace of this is [itex]-R+4 \Lambda=xT[/itex]
What?
Surely that's only possible if we have [itex]+\Lambda g_{ab}[/itex] as I have seen in every other text I've ever read?

However, when we derive the Freidmann equations from this we get a [itex]( \frac{\dot{a}}{a})^2=\frac{8 \pi G}{3} \rho -\frac{k}{a^2}+\frac{\Lambda}{3}[/itex]
So if we had [itex]-\Lambda[/itex] on the LHS as suggested in the notes then this will come over to the RHS and give a + as required by the Freidmann equations but now it is all inconsistent with the trace.

This is so confusing! Can anyone clear this up? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it isn't

[tex]G_{ab} + \Lambda g_{ab}= \frac{8 \pi G}{c^4}
T_{ab}[/tex]

in the original Equation, that is, +Λ instead of -Λ on the left-hand side?

In case your textbook/notes actually state -Λ, then there's a strong possibility of it being a typo, and in this case, just ignore it.

I'd also recommend you to notify your tutor/professor on this.

What is the Einstein equation?

The Einstein equation is a fundamental equation in general relativity that describes the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy.

What is the difference between "Solving Einstein Equation Confusion: My Notes vs Freidmann Equations"?

The title "Solving Einstein Equation Confusion: My Notes vs Freidmann Equations" likely refers to a comparison between the notes or understanding of the author and the Friedmann equations, which are a set of equations used to describe the expansion of the universe in cosmology.

Why is there confusion surrounding the Einstein equation?

The Einstein equation is a complex equation and can be difficult to understand and apply correctly. Additionally, there may be confusion surrounding the equation due to different interpretations or approaches to solving it.

What are the implications of solving the Einstein equation?

Solving the Einstein equation has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and the behavior of matter and energy on a cosmic scale. It allows us to make predictions about the expansion of the universe, the formation of galaxies and other structures, and the behavior of black holes.

What is the role of the Friedmann equations in solving the Einstein equation?

The Friedmann equations are a set of equations that describe the expansion of the universe based on the principles of general relativity. They are often used in conjunction with the Einstein equation to make predictions about the behavior of the universe on a large scale.