Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein-Hilbert action.

1. Jun 29, 2007 #1
    if we have the Einstein Hilbert action

[tex] I= \int_{V} dV (-g)^{1/2}R [/tex] or [tex] I= \int_{V} dV \mathcal L (g_{ab}, \Gamma_{kl}^{i} [/tex]

then my question is if we can obtain Einstein equations by varying the metric and Christofell symbols independently i mean you get Einstein Field equations by

[tex] \frac{\delta I}{\delta g_{ab} =0 [/tex] [tex] \frac{\delta I}{\delta \Gamma_{kl}^{i} =0 [/tex]

i mean , you consider the metric g_{ab} and [tex] \Gamma_{kl}^{i} [/tex] as independent variables for your theory.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, this is done in the so-called Palatini fromulation of GR. Google it to find more information. (if the action is simply the EH action, the Palatini formulation gives the same result as the usual metric approach. If the action is generalized to included other terms (liek a 1/R term as is done in some modedl of the so-called f(R) gravity, the Palatini formulation gives a different result than th emetric formulation.)

Patrick

4. Jun 29, 2007 #3
    Yes, if you vary the metric+connection EH action with respect to the connection, you find the algebraic equation: connection=levi-civita connection. Thus you can insert these equations of motion inside the action, recovering the metric-only EH action, and the two are classically equivalent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?