Einstein-Hilbert action.

• Thread starter Klaus_Hoffmann
  • Start date
In summary, by varying the Einstein Hilbert action with respect to the metric and Christoffel symbols independently, we can obtain Einstein's field equations. This is known as the Palatini formulation of General Relativity and is equivalent to the usual metric approach. However, if the action is generalized, the Palatini formulation may give different results.
Klaus_Hoffmann
if we have the Einstein Hilbert action

[tex] I= \int_{V} dV (-g)^{1/2}R [/tex] or [tex] I= \int_{V} dV \mathcal L (g_{ab}, \Gamma_{kl}^{i} [/tex]

then my question is if we can obtain Einstein equations by varying the metric and Christofell symbols independently i mean you get Einstein Field equations by

[tex] \frac{\delta I}{\delta g_{ab} =0 [/tex] [tex] \frac{\delta I}{\delta \Gamma_{kl}^{i} =0 [/tex]

i mean , you consider the metric g_{ab} and [tex] \Gamma_{kl}^{i} [/tex] as independent variables for your theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Klaus_Hoffmann said:
if we have the Einstein Hilbert action

[tex] I= \int_{V} dV (-g)^{1/2}R [/tex] or [tex] I= \int_{V} dV \mathcal L (g_{ab}, \Gamma_{kl}^{i} [/tex]

then my question is if we can obtain Einstein equations by varying the metric and Christofell symbols independently i mean you get Einstein Field equations by

[tex] \frac{\delta I}{\delta g_{ab} =0 [/tex] [tex] \frac{\delta I}{\delta \Gamma_{kl}^{i} =0 [/tex]

i mean , you consider the metric g_{ab} and [tex] \Gamma_{kl}^{i} [/tex] as independent variables for your theory.

Yes, this is done in the so-called Palatini fromulation of GR. Google it to find more information. (if the action is simply the EH action, the Palatini formulation gives the same result as the usual metric approach. If the action is generalized to included other terms (liek a 1/R term as is done in some modedl of the so-called f(R) gravity, the Palatini formulation gives a different result than th emetric formulation.)

Patrick

Yes, if you vary the metric+connection EH action with respect to the connection, you find the algebraic equation: connection=levi-civita connection. Thus you can insert these equations of motion inside the action, recovering the metric-only EH action, and the two are classically equivalent.

What is the Einstein-Hilbert action?

The Einstein-Hilbert action is a mathematical expression used in the field of general relativity to describe the dynamics of a gravitational field. It is a fundamental principle that describes how matter and energy interact with the curvature of spacetime.

How does the Einstein-Hilbert action relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

The Einstein-Hilbert action is the mathematical formulation of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action. In this case, the action is the integral of the curvature of spacetime.

What is the significance of the Einstein-Hilbert action?

The Einstein-Hilbert action is significant because it provides a concise and elegant way to describe the dynamics of gravity in terms of the curvature of spacetime. It has been extensively used in the development of modern theories of gravity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.

How is the Einstein-Hilbert action calculated?

The Einstein-Hilbert action is calculated by taking the integral of the Ricci scalar, which is a measure of the curvature of spacetime, over the entire spacetime volume. This integral is then minimized to find the path that a system takes between two points in time.

Are there any limitations to the Einstein-Hilbert action?

While the Einstein-Hilbert action has been successful in describing gravity on large scales, it does not account for quantum effects. Therefore, it is not a complete theory of gravity and is currently being refined and extended in various areas of research, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity.