Einstein views on gravitation,help

• Thread starter shehri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Einstein
In summary, Einstein viewed gravitation as a force that emanates from objects and affects the space around them. He believed that it was a fundamental force that was responsible for the curvature of space time.
shehri
Einstein views on gravitation,please. help!

Hi all,
If someone may explain in simplest manner the views of Einstein on gravitation?.Particularly I'm much confused about 'geodesics' & 'curved space time'.Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in order to answer your question, it may be helpful if you tell us how much you know. How familiar are you with special and general relativity?

Not so much.Just a know how of postulates.Infact I want to get clear about curve sopace time in a simple manner.I want to study the topic of space & time but have no good book besides me.Thanks.

cristo is correct. It would be helpful to know more about your background. There are many good sources of this information on the internet. Google general realtivity and you will find all you want.

I will make a couple of comments. Einstien's first breakthrough in this are is special relativity which doesn't deal with gravity at all; it is a study of the relatinship between the speed of light, motions, and physical objects. Here is his original paper: http://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/einstein/specrel/www/
I suspect it will be difficult for you, but the crux of the theory is containd in 4 simple equaiton at the end of chapter #3. These equations show the effects of relative motion on objects and time. They arise mathematically from the two postulates: the principle of relativity and the constancy of the measurement of the speed of light (actually the second one can be deduced from the first so only one principle is required.)

I suggest you learn about special relativity firs because it is simpler and requires only algebra to do real problems.

General relativity is a theory of gravity and requires only one more principle, the equivalence principle. This principle states that the effect of gravity on a point mass is indistinguishable for the effect of acceleration on that point. Unfortunately, not much can be done in general relativity without a woriking knowledge of tensor analysis.

Good luck!

1. What is Einstein's theory of gravitation?

Einstein's theory of gravitation, also known as the theory of general relativity, states that gravity is not a force between masses, but is a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

2. How did Einstein come up with his theory of gravitation?

Einstein developed his theory of gravitation by building on the work of previous scientists, such as Isaac Newton and James Clerk Maxwell, and conducting thought experiments and mathematical calculations. He also used his understanding of the properties of light and the principle of equivalence, which states that the effects of gravity and acceleration are indistinguishable.

3. What does Einstein's theory of gravitation explain?

Einstein's theory of gravitation explains the behavior of gravity on a larger scale, such as the motion of planets and galaxies, as well as the bending of light around massive objects. It also explains the phenomenon of time dilation, where time moves slower in areas with stronger gravitational fields.

4. How has Einstein's theory of gravitation been proven?

There have been numerous experiments and observations that have confirmed Einstein's theory of gravitation. One of the most famous examples is the observation of the bending of starlight during a solar eclipse, which was predicted by Einstein's theory. Additionally, the accurate predictions of the theory have been confirmed through modern technologies, such as GPS systems.

5. How has Einstein's theory of gravitation impacted our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's theory of gravitation has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe by providing a more accurate and comprehensive explanation of gravity. It has also led to the development of new technologies, such as gravitational wave detectors, that have allowed us to observe and study the universe in ways that were not possible before. Additionally, the theory has influenced other areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and the search for a unified theory of everything.