Einstein wrote his essay: The world as I see it in English or German?

In summary, the conversation discusses a famous essay written by Albert Einstein titled "Mein Weltbild" and its influence on traditional religious English. It is debated whether Einstein wrote it himself or if it was translated. The essay is also available in German under the same title.
FVS
A very famous one which starts with:
"What an extraordinary situation is that of us mortals! Each of us is here for a
brief sojourn; for what ..."
I'm a little curious because I'm not an English native and feel so strange by grammar of the essay. And I guess he did write it originally in English :D Someone know about this :) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi FVS! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't know whether Einstein wrote this piece of English, or whether a translator wrote it, but whoever it was was obviously influenced by traditional religious English.

If you look at the King James Version or the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, or traditional Christian or Jewish prayer-books, you'll see where he was coming from! :wink:

Einstein wrote it in German under the title Mein Weltbild.

[STRIKE]Der Aufsatz ist sehr interessant.[/STRIKE]

Edit: Keeping with the forum rules; "The essay is very interesting." :redface:

Last edited:
Please keep to PF rules:

All posts must be in English. Posts in other languages will be deleted.

Related to Einstein wrote his essay: The world as I see it in English or German?

What is the essay "The world as I see it" about?

The essay is a collection of Albert Einstein's thoughts and perspectives on various topics such as science, religion, politics, and human nature.

When did Einstein write this essay?

The essay was written in 1931, when Einstein was 52 years old. It was originally written in German and later translated into English.

Why did Einstein write this essay?

Einstein wrote this essay as a response to a request from George Sylvester Viereck, a German-American poet, journalist, and political propagandist. Viereck asked Einstein to explain his thoughts and beliefs on various topics.

Is "The world as I see it" a scientific paper?

No, the essay is not a scientific paper. It is a collection of Einstein's personal reflections and opinions on various topics, written in a more accessible and philosophical style.

Where can I read "The world as I see it"?

The essay can be found in various publications, including the book "The World As I See It" edited by Alan Harris, as well as online on websites such as Project Gutenberg.