Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Einstein wrote his essay: The world as I see it in English or German?

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1

FVS

A very famous one which starts with:
    "What an extraordinary situation is that of us mortals! Each of us is here for a
    brief sojourn; for what ...."
    I'm a little curious because I'm not an English native and feel so strange by grammar of the essay. And I guess he did write it originally in English :D Someone know about this :) ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi FVS! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't know whether Einstein wrote this piece of English, or whether a translator wrote it, but whoever it was was obviously influenced by traditional religious English.

If you look at the King James Version or the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, or traditional Christian or Jewish prayer-books, you'll see where he was coming from! :wink:

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Einstein wrote it in German under the title Mein Weltbild.

5. Jan 21, 2014 #4
  6. Jan 21, 2014 #5

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[STRIKE]Der Aufsatz ist sehr interessant.[/STRIKE]

Edit: Keeping with the forum rules; "The essay is very interesting." :redface:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  7. Jan 22, 2014 #6

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Please keep to PF rules:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook