Einstein's Change of Mind: How Science Differs from Daily Life

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between maintaining a certain point of view in daily life versus in the scientific community. It is noted that in science, it is not seen as a sign of weakness to change one's opinion when presented with contrary evidence, but rather a necessary and expected part of the scientific method. The importance of empirical evidence and the need for scientists to constantly reevaluate their beliefs is emphasized. The conversation also touches on the societal pressure to stick to one's beliefs, regardless of evidence, and how this may not apply in the scientific community.
pbody
1. In daily life, people are often praised for maintaining some particular point of view for the courage of their convictions. A change of mind is seen as a sign of weakness. How is that different in science

Homework Equations

Well I was reading something at one time that Einstein changed his point of view for something or another because of somebody elses insight but went back to his original theory. I think it was in relativity.

I don't know what people were saying of him at the time.

The Attempt at a Solution

In all honesty I think it has no different outcome, people are people. People judge from and dissect the person who is wrong and define him or her as incompetent.

Physics news on Phys.org

I think that this question is getting at something a little bit more specific. In particular, you should think carefully about the role that empirical evidence plays in the scientific method. If you held certain beliefs about nature, and I presented you with physical evidence that was contrary to those beliefs, what would be your response? What do you think would be the response of a scientist, or the most "scientific" course of action to take in this situation?

cepheid said:
I think that this question is getting at something a little bit more specific. In particular, you should think carefully about the role that empirical evidence plays in the scientific method. If you held certain beliefs about nature, and I presented you with physical evidence that was contrary to those beliefs, what would be your response? What do you think would be the response of a scientist, or the most "scientific" course of action to take in this situation?

To reevaluate the circumstances and find a more competent approach, if I or a "scientist" was incorrect if there was proof of what I believed to be incorrect accept what was being presented and check to the best of my capabilities, if what I perceive to be correct is in fact correct well I guess if there was physical proof than there would be no more correcting but if it were an equation than perhaps a few more looks.

Uh, okay, well I had trouble interpreting what you wrote above, which is partly because it had almost no punctuation. In any case, the point I was trying to get at was this. In science, it is perfectly *okay* to change your opinion when faced with contrary evidence. Not only that, but you *must* do this. It would be unscientific to continue to cling to your old beliefs or conclusions when they have been shown to be false by experiment. (Assuming, of course, that these experimental findings are valid and reproducible).

cepheid said:
Uh, okay, well I had trouble interpreting what you wrote above, which is partly because it had almost no punctuation. In any case, the point I was trying to get at was this. In science, it is perfectly *okay* to change your opinion when faced with contrary evidence. Not only that, but you *must* do this. It would be unscientific to continue to cling to your old beliefs or conclusions when they have been shown to be false by experiment. (Assuming, of course, that these experimental findings are valid and reproducible).

Yes I do that a lot too, I carry a lot of run on sentences. I agree with you completely. If I said water was acid, yet acid burned skin. Water didn't burn my skin therefore it could not be acid. I would have to change my train of thought, because acid would burn my skin.

I was interpreting the question, I believe on a more basic social level. Where if you are wrong you are wrong forever. Which might or might not happen with in the science community.

Related to Einstein's Change of Mind: How Science Differs from Daily Life

1. How did Einstein's perspective on science differ from daily life?

Einstein believed that science was not just about observing and explaining the natural world, but also about questioning and challenging existing beliefs and theories. He saw science as a process of constantly changing and adapting, rather than a set of fixed principles.

2. What motivated Einstein to change his mind about the nature of science?

Einstein's change of mind was largely motivated by his dissatisfaction with the traditional view of science as a collection of simple, absolute laws. He saw this view as limiting and believed that science should instead be open to new ideas and interpretations.

3. How does Einstein's view on science impact our understanding of the natural world?

Einstein's view on science has greatly impacted our understanding of the natural world by encouraging scientists to think critically and creatively. His emphasis on questioning and challenging existing beliefs has led to major scientific breakthroughs and advancements.

4. How can we apply Einstein's perspective on science to our daily lives?

We can apply Einstein's perspective on science to our daily lives by adopting a more open and curious mindset. Instead of accepting things at face value, we can question and challenge our own beliefs and assumptions, leading to personal growth and development.

5. What can we learn from Einstein's change of mind about science?

Einstein's change of mind teaches us that science is not a static and rigid concept, but rather a dynamic and evolving one. It reminds us to be open-minded and adaptable in our thinking, and to never stop questioning the world around us.