Einstein's formula for specific heat

In summary, the person is working through a derivation of Einstein's formula for specific heat and they are stuck. They are using Planck's assumption of quantised energy and the energy probability P(E) to get total energy U. The next step is where their problem is. They don't see how the step is made and they are looking for any ideas. They have met partition functions in the context of statistical physics before and know that the identity for 1+x+x^2+x^3+... = (1-x)^(-1) is just the binomial expansion. The other one is obtained by noticing that it is related to the derivative of the first.
Piano man
I'm working through a derivation of Einstein's formula for specific heat and I'm stuck.

So far I've been working off Planck's assumption of quantised energy [tex] E=n\hbar\omega [/tex] and the energy probability [tex] P(E)= e^{\frac{-E}{k_b T}} [/tex], using the fact that the mean expectation energy is [tex]\langle E \rangle= \frac{\sum_n E P(E)}{\sum_n P(E)}[/tex] to get total energy [tex]U=3N\langle E \rangle=\frac{3N\sum_n n\hbar\omega e^{-n\hbar\omega/k_b T}}{\sum_n e^{-n\hbar\omega/k_b T}}[/tex]

The next step is where my problem is. The derivation I am studying says the above expression is equal to [tex]3Nk_b T\left[\frac{\hbar\omega/k_b T}{e^{\hbar\omega/k_bT}-1}\right][/tex], which when differentiated wrt T gives the Einstein formula, but I don't see how that step is made.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to remember the identities

[tex] 1+x+x^{2}+....= (1-x)^{-1} [/tex]

[tex] x+2x^{2}+3x^{3}+...= -x(1-x)^{-2} [/tex]

setting [tex] x=e^{\frac{-\hbar \omega}{k_{b}.T}} [/tex] you can sum both series and get finite answers for U

Oh man , i wish physics were sooo easy nowadays too

I don't really see 'how' the step is made either - it doesn't look like a natural one-liner, although with sufficient ingenuity you can show why that it is correct (zetafunction has shown the level of ingenuity which is sufficient). The 'easier way' is to do the sum earlier on - by first writing down the partition function for a single oscillator, and working from there.

Have you met partition functions in the context of statistical physics before?

Thanks for the replies :D

zetafunction, thank you for those formulas. I tried using them and I got the correct formula out, but with a negative sign in front from the negative x in the second formula above. Where do those identities come from?

peteratcam, no I'm not familiar with partition functions. How would that work in this case?

Well the partition function is the sum over all energy states:
[tex]Z = \sum_i e^{-\beta E_i}[/tex]
All thermodynamic information can be derived from the partition function, for example the Helmholtz Free Energy is [tex]-kT \ln Z[/tex] and the internal energy is [tex]-\partial \ln Z/\partial \beta[/tex].

For a harmonic oscillator, calculating the partition function is as simple as knowing how to sum a geometric series. And then you can take derivatives to obtain the energy.

Look in any university level statistical physics book for more details.

The identity for 1+x+x^2+x^3+... = (1-x)^(-1) is just the binomial expansion. The other one is obtained by noticing that it is related to the derivative of the first.

ok thanks genneth, that makes sense.
So if you take the derivative of the first and multiply by x, you get x(1-x)^-2 not -x(1-x)^-2, which gives the required result.

What is Einstein's formula for specific heat?

Einstein's formula for specific heat is a mathematical equation that relates the specific heat of a material to its atomic structure. It is written as C = 3kN, where C is the specific heat, k is the Boltzmann constant, and N is the number of atoms in the material.

What is the significance of Einstein's formula for specific heat?

Einstein's formula for specific heat is significant because it helps to explain the relationship between a material's temperature and its internal energy. It also provides a way to calculate the specific heat of a material based on its atomic properties.

How did Einstein develop this formula?

Einstein developed this formula through his work on the theory of heat capacity, which was based on the idea that heat is not a continuous quantity, but rather is made up of discrete packets of energy called quanta. He used statistical mechanics to derive the formula.

Is Einstein's formula for specific heat applicable to all materials?

No, Einstein's formula is only applicable to certain materials, specifically those with low atomic weights and temperatures close to absolute zero. For materials with higher atomic weights and temperatures, other equations such as the Debye model are more accurate.

How is Einstein's formula for specific heat used in practical applications?

Einstein's formula is used in various fields of science, including thermodynamics, material science, and quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to understand and predict the thermal properties of materials and is essential in the design and development of new technologies.