1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elastic collision in a pendulum

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    Hello people. New here and i've got a problem here which i would appreciate some help with.

Situation :
    A ball of mass 300g is attached to a massless string of 0.2m suspended at a 90 degree angle to another ball of mass 500g held by a massless string at length 0.2m.
    Imagine the ball A (0.3kg) is positioned next to ball B, which are equal except for masses. Ball A is moved in a quarter of a circle motion up 0.2m, keeping it's string straight. That is the case we are examening.
    The question is, what are the maximum heights ball A and B can attain after ball A is released collides with B?

We assume that this is an insulated system, meaning 100 % conserved energy and momentum.

Through PEi + KEi = PEf + KEf We achieve the velocity 1.98 m/s right before collision with ball B.

The problem arises when the total KE for the system has to be distributed correctly between ball A and B post-collision. I've reached the point where the KEi = Va final + 5/3 Vb final

How do you go about finding either one of the velocities? I know that the V of B will be greater than V of A since B has less than double the mass of A

Appreciate your help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2
    Use the formulas for an elastic collision.

[tex]p_{before} = p_{after}[/tex]

[tex]KE_{before} = KE_{after}[/tex]

That will give you 2 equations with 2 unknowns.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?