Solving an Elastic Collision Problem: Why Isn't it Working?

In summary, the two marbles after collision had the following velocities: vA = 0.5 m/s and vB = -0.1 m/s.
Mangoes

Homework Statement

A 10.0 g marble slides to the left with a velocity of magnitude 0.400 m/s on the frictionless, horizontal surface of an icy New York sidewalk and has a head-on, elastic collision with a larger 30.0 g marble sliding to the right with a velocity of magnitude 0.200 m/s.

Find the velocity of each marble after the collision.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I am ignoring friction, the sum of external forces is zero and momentum is conserved.

[tex] m_1v_{A1} + m_2v_{B1} = m_1v_{A2} + m_2v_{B2} [/tex]

[tex] (0.01 kg)(0.4 m/s) + (0.03 kg)(0.2 m/s) = (0.01 kg)v_A + (0.03 kg)v_B [/tex]

I have two unknowns and one equation.

Since the collision is elastic, kinetic energy is also conserved.

[tex] (1/2)m_1{v_{A1}}^2 + (1/2)m_2{v_{B1}}^2 = (1/2)m_1{v_{A2}}^2 + (1/2)m_2{v_{B2}}^2 [/tex]

[tex] (1/2)(0.1kg)(0.4 m/s)^2 + (1/2)(0.3 kg)(0.2 m/s)^2 = (1/2)(0.1kg){v_{A2}}^2 + (1/2)(0.3kg){v_{B2}}^2 [/tex]

Simplifying the numbers a little and omitting units for simplicity gives the two equations:

[tex] 0.01 = 0.01v_A + 0.03v_B [/tex]
[tex] 0.014 = 0.05{v_A}^2 + 0.15{v_B}^2 [/tex]

I didn't bother going through with the algebra, but plugging in the two equations into WA gives:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.01+=+0.01x+++0.03y,+0.014+=+0.05x^2+++0.15y^2

Not only do I not have a way to discriminate between which pair of points I should use, but neither of the answers match up. The book tells me that the velocities are vA = 0.5 m/s and vB = -0.1 m/s.

Why isn't this working out?
This exact same thought process worked fine for the problem right before this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized I made an error in the first equation for the velocity of the marble. I forgot to include the negative to account for the fact that the marble is going towards the other marble.

After fixing that and getting the correct numbers, I got this result:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=0.002+=+0.01x+++0.03y,+0.014+=+0.05x^2+++0.15y^2

One of the set of points in this equation is what the book is saying. But I still have one other problem... Why does the book omit the other point (-0.4, 0.2)?

EDIT: Nevermind I just realized why the answer doesn't make physical sense.

Last edited:
Mangoes said:
I

One of the set of points in this equation is what the book is saying. But I still have one other problem... Why does the book omit the other point (-0.4, 0.2)?

EDIT: Nevermind I just realized why the answer doesn't make physical sense.

The equations for an elastic collision state conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. They are valid also if nothing happens, the particles do not collide, just avoid each other. You always get that solution in addition to the "correct" one.

ehild

FAQ: Solving an Elastic Collision Problem: Why Isn't it Working?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision.

2. How is the conservation of momentum applied in elastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total momentum of the system is also conserved. This means that the sum of the momentums of the two objects before the collision is equal to the sum of their momentums after the collision.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy and momentum of the system are conserved. In inelastic collisions, on the other hand, some of the kinetic energy is lost, usually in the form of heat or sound, and the total momentum may or may not be conserved.

4. How do you calculate the final velocities of two objects after an elastic collision?

The final velocities of the two objects can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of kinetic energy equations. By setting the initial and final total momentum and kinetic energy equal, you can solve for the final velocities of the objects.

5. Can elastic collisions occur in real life?

Yes, elastic collisions can occur in real life. Examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding, two rubber balls bouncing off each other, and the collision of molecules in a gas. However, perfectly elastic collisions are idealized and rarely occur in real life, as some energy is usually lost in the form of heat or sound.