What Is the Max Height the 5kg Object Reaches After the Elastic Collision?

In summary, the problem involves an object with a mass of 5kg sliding down a frictionless track from a height of 5 meters and colliding with a second object with a mass of 10kg. The collision is assumed to be perfectly elastic and the track is also frictionless. The question asks for the maximum height to which the first object will slide back up the ramp after the collision. The relevant equations for this problem are v=d/t, v1=(u1(m1-m2)+2m2u2)/(m1+m2), and v2=(u2(m2-m1)+2m1u1)/(m1+m2). To solve this problem, one would need to find the speed of the
scassioti

Homework Statement

An object (m1 = 5kg) starting from a height of 5 meters, slides down a frictionless track as shown (first object starts in a vertical position, slides down a curved track, and collides with object 2 in a horizontal position) and collides with a second object (m2 = 10kg). Assume the track is frictionless and the collision is perfectly elastic. When the first object recoils from the collision, what is the max height to which it will slide back up the ramp?

Homework Equations

v=d/t

v1=(u1(m1-m2)+2m2u2)/(m1+m2)

v2=(u2(m2-m1)+2m1u1)/(m1+m2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to attempt a solution, i am currently taking physics 1, but my professor gave a physics 2 problem to the students as an 'assessment'. I want to understand this, but am not really sure how to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi scassioti! Welcome to PF! :smile:

i] what is the speed of the 5kg mass just before it hits the 10kg mass?

ii] then what is its speed just after? :wink:

FAQ: What Is the Max Height the 5kg Object Reaches After the Elastic Collision?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which both the kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. This means that the total energy and total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total energy and total momentum after the collision.

2. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms such as heat or sound. Inelastic collisions also do not conserve momentum, unlike elastic collisions.

3. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating the final velocities in an elastic collision is given by: v1f = (m1 - m2)v1i + 2m2v2i / (m1 + m2) for the first object, and v2f = 2m1v1i - (m1 - m2)v2i / (m1 + m2) for the second object.

4. Can an elastic collision occur between two objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between two objects of different masses. The final velocities of the objects will depend on their masses and initial velocities, as shown in the equations in the previous answer.

5. What are some real-life examples of elastic collisions?

A common real-life example of an elastic collision is a game of billiards. When the cue ball hits another ball, the total kinetic energy and momentum is conserved, resulting in the cue ball bouncing off the other ball and the other ball moving with a different velocity. Another example is a bouncing ball, where the ball collides with a surface and bounces back with the same speed.

Back