Elastic & gravitational potential energy

In summary: I think we are working on different questions. Your original question was about the direction of adding/subtracting GPE to the elastic energy. But the question I'm working on is related to a bifurcation diagram, which involves finding the stable and unstable fixed points and their stability for different values of h.As for the symmetry question, no, we don't have one.
Set Abominae
Hi there.

I have a bead of mass m, which slides down a frictionless parabolic wire in the form y=x^2, and is attached by elastic to the point (0,h), and I want to write down total energy f(x) (= elastic energy + gravitational potential energy) (no mention of kinetic energy...) of the bead at (x,x^2).

I know that g.p.e is mgx^2, and that elastic energy is (k/2)(h^2 + x^2 - 2hx^2 + x^4), but I'm not sure whether I'm adding the g.p.e. to the elastic energy, or subtracting it, despite the fact that I want f(x) = elastic energy + g.p.e.

Any clarification would be great :)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Set Abominae! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Set Abominae said:
… I'm not sure whether I'm adding the g.p.e. to the elastic energy, or subtracting it, despite the fact that I want f(x) = elastic energy + g.p.e.

Just ask yourself: will it make the bead go slower?

ie will increasing the height make the bead go slower? will increasing the length of the elastic make the bead go slower? :wink:
I know that … elastic energy is (k/2)(h^2 + x^2 - 2hx^2 + x^4)

how did you get that? :confused:

and what is the unstretched length of the elastic?

The question states that:
When the elastic has length d its elastic energy is [tex]\frac{k}{2}[/tex] [tex]d^{2}[/tex], where d> 0...

So when the bead is at [tex](x,x^{2})[/tex], we have that:
[tex]d = \sqrt{x^{2}+(h-x^{2})^{2}}[/tex]

(It'a a question from a math assignment, so its probably not totally accurate...)

So that will be add, then?:shy:

Set Abominae said:
The question states that:
When the elastic has length d its elastic energy is [tex]\frac{k}{2}[/tex] [tex]d^{2}[/tex], where d> 0...

hmm … that's unusual … but if the question says so, i suppose it's ok :smile:

(perhaps the elastic starts further back, and goes round a peg at (0,h), and the unstretched length is up to the peg)
So that will be add, then?:shy:

i'm not sure what you're adding to what …

anyway, give a reason, so we can see you're not guessing! :wink:

Actually, thinking about it, I would imagine that I would subtract the g.p.e from the elastic energy to get f(x) (though I'm cautious about doing so, as the question says f(x)=elastic energy + g.p.e.).

Another reason for doing this is that if I sum them to get f(x), when I start drawing my bifurcation diagram later in the question, I get:

A single fixed point [tex]x=0[/tex] is stable for [tex]h<\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2} [/tex],

and 3 fixed points

[tex]x=0, \pm\sqrt{h-\frac{mg}{k}-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] are all unstable for [tex]h>\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2}[/tex], and I've never seen a system where all 3 fixed points are unstable before...

But I also get the same result of 3 unstable fixed points when I subtract the g.p.e. from the elastic energy... :confused:

Set Abominae said:
Actually, thinking about it, I would imagine that I would subtract the g.p.e from the elastic energy to get f(x) (though I'm cautious about doing so, as the question says f(x)=elastic energy + g.p.e.).

Are you taking into account the fact that gpe is minus mgh?
Another reason for doing this is that if I sum them to get f(x), when I start drawing my bifurcation diagram later in the question …

urggh :yuck: … don't know anythng about bifurcation diagrams :redface:

Here is a related problem that I. Newton solved in one day back in about 1697. Suppose we have a frictionless bead sliding on a wire from point A at (0,h) to point B at (x,0) by the fastest route. What is the shape of the wire from point A to point B? A straight line is the shortest distance, but a parabola is longer and faster. But a parabola is not the fastest. So what is?

tiny-tim said:
Are you taking into account the fact that gpe is minus mgh?

I forgot about that! Upon further thought, I would imagine that I would subtract the negative gpe, so be adding it to the elastic energy to give f(x). I say this by considering energy conservation - assuming we don't have any stupidly big oscillations, the higher the bead gets, the larger mgh gets, and the smaller the elastic energy.

Likewise, when the bead is at x=0, it has it least gpe (0 if we take the x-axis as our 'zero height', but the elastic is at maximum extension (again, assuming well-behaved oscillations).

So by energy conservation, I'm inclined to write that
[tex]f(x) = (elastic energy) + mgx^{2}[/tex]

Thoughts?

I have the same problem for my maths assignment :) check ur calculations carefully. I have a single unstable fixed point at x=0 for h<mg/k+0.05, second derivative is >0 and 3 stable fixed points for h>mg/k+0.05, second derivative<0. Why do u have the opposite?

mirabella said:
I have the same problem for my maths assignment :) check ur calculations carefully. I have a single unstable fixed point at x=0 for h<mg/k+0.05, second derivative is >0 and 3 stable fixed points for h>mg/k+0.05, second derivative<0. Why do u have the opposite?

[tex]f(x)=\frac{k}{2}(x^{2}+(h-x^{2})^{2}+mgx^{2}
\Rightarrow f'(x)=2kx^{3}+kx-2hkx+2mgx[/tex]
Solve [tex]f'(x)=0[/tex] to give [tex]x=0[/tex] for [tex]h\leq\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2}[/tex],
and [tex]x=0, x=\pm\sqrt{h-\frac{mg}{k}-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] for [tex]h>\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Now, [tex]f''(x)=6kx^{2}+k+2mg-2hk
h<\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow f''(0)=2mg+k-2hk<0 \Rightarrow[/tex] stable.
(Note, [tex]h=\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow f''(0)=0 \Rightarrow[/tex] system is structurally unstable.)

[tex]h>\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow f''(0)>0 \Rightarrow[/tex] unstable, and
[tex]f''(\pm\sqrt{h-\frac{mg}{k}-\frac{1}{2}})=4hk-4mg-2k>4k(\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2})-4mg-2k=0 \Rightarrow[/tex] unstable.

(Sorry for the mess!)

I don't think there's any mistakes here... How did you go about solving it?

[QUOTE f''(0)=2mg+k-2hk
[tex]h>\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow f''(0)>0 \Rightarrow[/tex] unstable QUOTE]

multiply h>mg/k+0.05 by 0.05k ( sign stays the same since k>0). U get 2kh>2mg+k i.e
2mg+k-2kh<0 so f''(0)<0 stable ?? Same for the other two.
I know it's a cusp catastrophe but how do u justify that?:confused:
Do u have a symmetry question (with a see-saw) later on in your assignment? :smile:

Set Abominae;2134032[tex said:
f''(\pm\sqrt{h-\frac{mg}{k}-\frac{1}{2}})=4hk-4mg-2k>4k(\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2})-4mg-2k=0 \Rightarrow[/tex] unstable.

Actually this is ok. I had a wrong sign there, but u still have a mistake for x=0 so check it. We have ether one unstable at x=0 or one stable at x=0 and two unstable at +-sqrt(h-mg-1/2). Bifurcation looks much better now :) Thoughts?

mirabella said:
Actually this is ok. I had a wrong sign there, but u still have a mistake for x=0 so check it. We have ether one unstable at x=0 or one stable at x=0 and two unstable at +-sqrt(h-mg-1/2). Bifurcation looks much better now :) Thoughts?

Yes, I now have:

1 unstable fixed point [tex]x=0[/tex] for [tex]h<\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

1 fixed point [tex]x=0[/tex] for [tex]h=\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2}[/tex], and system is structurally unstable.

1 stable fixed point [tex]x=0[/tex] and 2 unstable fixed points at
[tex]x=\pm\sqrt{h-\frac{mg}{k}-\frac{1}{2}}[/tex] for [tex]h>\frac{mg}{k}+\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

I do indeed have a symmetry question (check your private messages). I wasn't really too sure on whether this was a cusp catastrophe or not. I couldn't use any of the equations for the canonical cusp catastrophe, but was inclined to believe that it's a cusp catastrophe, as we just from a maximum to a mininum and two maximums (basically, the opposite of the canonical cusp catastrophe: just the same situation with all equations made negative). But, that's my only real argument...

:confused:

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is the energy stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. This type of energy is associated with elastic materials, such as rubber bands or springs, which can return to their original shape after being deformed.

2. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating elastic potential energy is: E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This formula is based on Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to an elastic material is directly proportional to its displacement.

3. What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is dependent on the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the object relative to a reference point.

4. How is gravitational potential energy affected by height?

The higher an object is positioned, the greater its gravitational potential energy will be. This is because as the object is raised, its distance from the center of the Earth increases, resulting in a larger gravitational force acting on the object and thus more potential energy stored.

5. Can elastic potential energy be converted into gravitational potential energy?

Yes, elastic potential energy can be converted into gravitational potential energy. For example, a person jumping on a trampoline converts their elastic potential energy into gravitational potential energy as they are propelled upwards. This conversion is possible because both types of energy are forms of potential energy, which can be converted into other forms, such as kinetic energy.