Electric bicycle that can re-charge itself?

In summary, it is possible to generate power using magnets and the movement of a bicycle, but this is not practical for most applications.
muddyboots
(Complete physics novice here - I know very little about physics, so please excuse any stupid questions!)

I was reading the 'Electromagnet' thread, about how movement (preferably rotation) is best for generating power using magnets...

What I'm wondering, could you use the rotation of the wheels/pedals on a bicycle, and magnets, to recharge the battery on an electric bicycle? I have been googling to see if such a product exists, but was unable to find it. If you generate power in this way, can you store it easily in a battery?

Thanks :) (This is not for a school project or anything - simply my own curiousity!)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suppose technically it is possible, question is - what for?

Just to be clear, you have to be pedalling for that to work: you can't use a motor to drive the wheel and a generator to recharge the battery.

Free energy eh??

All the energy comes from the pedals. All you will do is add weight and make the pedalling harder.

Electric bikes have been available for a very long time. Try google

see e.g.
http://www.bionx.ca/en/main/default/31.shtml

Now, the point is of course not to "generate energy", the motor is essentially there to help you up steep hills etc. You can -at least in principle- then re-charge the battery on the flats or when going downhill.
However, most of the bikes that are available today seem to use batteries that can only be re-charged from the wall; but the BionX that I linked to above is one exception.

Borek said:
I suppose technically it is possible, question is - what for?

Cos I have to wear out brake pads going down a 300m hill form my house, then climb up a 100m hill on the other side. What makes it worse is that you can see the destination below you as you scream downwards, then above you as you pant up the hill.
Curse you potential energy!

Edit - of course a smooth straight road, no traffic / speed limits and a large amount of insane courage would also work!

Muddyboots, if you like the sound of mgb_phys's suggestion, perhaps you should research 'regenerative braking'. However, you must first be clear that this energy must come from somewhere, whether it's just from gravity (when going down hills, in which case you need to get to the top of them first!) or from pedalling (in which case you'll be pedalling a lot harder when you're charging your batteries!).

Unfortunately regenerative braking doesn't really work for bicycles.
The problem is that they don't weight very much and have a lot of aerodynamic drag so when you go downhill you lose a lot more energy to the air than you can recover from the potential energy, add that to the extra weigth and cost of the batteries and it doesn't really work.

What would work is a series of viaducts and flyovers to make the world (or at least this city) flatter for cyclists - or they could fit the amazing Norwegain bicycle lift http://www.trampe.no/english/

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with any electric vehicle is the very poor energy to weight ratio which is about 1/100 of that of petrol.

Strap a car battery to a bike and see how much harder it is to pedal.

mgb_phys said:
the amazing Norwegain bicycle lift http://www.trampe.no/english/

Wow. I am in love :smile:

I know, I first saw the http://www.trampe.no/img/gallery/imgfull/13.jpg picture on a blog and thought it was a joke!

Thanks for the all the replies!

Love the Trampe - what a great idea.

I guess what I was imagining, is that it would be on the downhill parts that you would be charging your battery, rather than by the actual peddling itself (though if you could recharge to a tiny degree from that too, then great).

Sounds like the amount of charge needed would be much greater than you would generate from going down a few hills on your everyday sort of ride...rats!

But thanks anyway :) My curiosity is satisfied...

What is an electric bicycle that can re-charge itself?

An electric bicycle that can re-charge itself is a type of electric bicycle that has a built-in system that allows it to generate electricity while riding, which can then be used to power the bike's motor and recharge its battery.

How does an electric bicycle that can re-charge itself work?

An electric bicycle that can re-charge itself works by using a technology called regenerative braking. This means that when the rider applies the brakes, the kinetic energy of the moving bike is converted into electrical energy and stored in the bike's battery.

What are the benefits of an electric bicycle that can re-charge itself?

There are several benefits to using an electric bicycle that can re-charge itself. It is more environmentally friendly as it reduces the need for electricity from non-renewable sources. It also allows for longer rides without worrying about running out of battery power. Additionally, it can save the rider money on electricity costs.

Are there any limitations to an electric bicycle that can re-charge itself?

While an electric bicycle that can re-charge itself has many benefits, there are also some limitations. The regenerative braking system is not as efficient as traditional charging methods, so it may not fully recharge the battery. It also requires the rider to use the brakes frequently in order to generate electricity, so it may not be as effective on long downhill rides.

Can I convert my existing bicycle into an electric bicycle that can re-charge itself?

It is possible to convert an existing bicycle into an electric bicycle that can re-charge itself, but it can be a complex and expensive process. It usually involves installing a motor, battery, and regenerative braking system, as well as making other modifications to the bike. It may be more cost-effective to purchase a new electric bicycle that already has this capability.