Power requirements for an electric trike

In summary, a person can produce about 300 watts of power through pedaling and this power could be used to power the bike or it could be used to charge the battery.
bemidjimac
Hello,
I may be thinking out of my element here but I am considering a project. I want to build a recumbent trike that is electric powered. I want to take a slightly different approach however. I want to use the pedals to turn a generator to assist in the recharging of the batteries. Additionally, I want to add solar panels for additional recharging. With this set-up, I hope to significantly extend the range of the trike. Additionally, with the solar panels, charging can continue when the trike is not being used. What I am not familiar with is how to determine size generator and solar panels that need to be used. I want to build it using a 48 volt system. I am sure you will want more details, but I don't know what else to give you at this time (as I said, I am out of my element here but like to take on projects that stretch me).

Thanks
Ken

Engineering news on Phys.org
How much power can the person pedalling produce and at what rpm? That's the size generator you need.

A lot of research has been done into pedal power. Not just for cycle racing but also man powered flight and for power generation in remote areas (lighting and radios in Africa).

Do some googling.

Following CWatters recommendation I found this link in the web:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-average-pedaling-force-applied-by-a-bicycle-rider
From the above link P=300 W at 80 rpm.
You need some of this power to keep on cycling and another part to charge the battery.
So, let's say you have to climb a 15% slope hill , the weight of 100 kg and a rolling friction factor of
0.07 with a constant speed of 2 m/sec. The force will be 100*0.07*sin(a)=9.88 kg =97 N
[a=asin(0.15)] and the required power P=F*v=97*2=194 W.
The available power to charge the battery will be 300-194=106 W.
An average sun power [including efficiency] it could be 75 W/sqr.ft
It depends now how many hours you may dedicate for charge the battery.
A battery of 30 Ah will give 4.2 A /7 h [4.2*48=201 W].
Charging only by pedaling will take about 14 h. Combining pedaling and sun you need about 7 hours.

Likes jim hardy

What is the power source for an electric trike?

The power source for an electric trike is typically a rechargeable battery.

How long does the battery last on an electric trike?

The battery life of an electric trike can vary depending on factors such as weight, terrain, and speed. On average, a fully charged battery can last anywhere from 20-40 miles.

How long does it take to charge the battery on an electric trike?

The charging time for an electric trike battery can also vary, but on average it takes about 4-6 hours to fully charge a drained battery.

Can the power requirements for an electric trike be customized?

Yes, the power requirements for an electric trike can be customized to fit the specific needs and preferences of the rider. This can include adjusting the battery size, motor power, and other components.

Are there any safety concerns with the power requirements of an electric trike?

As with any electric vehicle, there are safety concerns to consider with the power requirements of an electric trike. It is important to follow manufacturer guidelines and make sure the battery and other components are properly maintained and used.