Electric Circuit With An Electric Motor - Satellite Project

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 4K views
korkotyan said:
I can use a magnetorquer - 0 moving parts
Fine, just make sure it is fast enough for your still unspecified requirements.
korkotyan said:
Can I use a shunt motor to be able to scale that way? But if I buy this series motor (the ebay one I mentioned), how to calculate the voltage for specific rpm? And how to calculate the voltage for specific rpm with a mass? Are there any formulas on this matter?
Every motor will have different curves, you need the datasheet and experiments to check the voltage and current at given rpm and torque (you have to consider both).
korkotyan said:
Ok, what about thin materials that can melt (and there are a lot of those), or hitting space debris, it is an endless loop of problems. If you (not you specifically) start projects from things like that, you should not even bother starting them. From the simple reason, things will not go as planed, therefore you need to be able to overcome problems like that.
Don't use materials that melt. Satellite design needs several iterations because some dependencies go in circles, but you can focus on some points first and then care about minor issues. If those issues turn out to be larger, you might have to change something in the design. The very first things are always the requirements as you don't want to change those.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
mfb said:
unspecified requirements
You are right, I realize now that some of the problems are critical, thus should be addressed before designing the satellite.

mfb said:
Every motor will have different curves, you need the datasheet and experiments to check the voltage and current at given rpm and torque (you have to consider both).
That is probably the most suitable way for me to start designing the satellite after specifying more requirements.

Thank you very much mfb, anorlunda and Baluncore for your help, you enlightened me on very important parts of this project. I will start now from the real beginning.