Are Electric Cars the Future of Transportation?

Hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis using electricity from renewables but this is only ~30% efficient, Or potentially harvested from photocatalytic metal oxide surfaces, but a long way off yet. And it's difficult to transport large volumes of H compared to natural gas. Since all electricity is ultimately produced by 'unclean' sources, the best thing about electric cars is the reduction of pollution in city areas. Additionally, a good idea is to lease batteries instead of charging them yourself, which can be easily swapped at depots for fully charged ones. However, there are still challenges such as the source of electricity and the potential hazards of
Sustainabilit
Am trying to know*how electric cars could be more desirable to own and the public views on the future of electric cars?

[spam deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Electric cars are unnatractive as they take hours to charge and you need lots of filling stations before anyone buys a car, so business needs to make a big leap before anyone considers it.

But a good idea I heard was that instead of charging your own battery, you lease one. And when you run it down you pull into a depot and just replace the battery with a fully charged one.

It's also a lot less hastle and much safer than having millions of gallons of petrol being transported and stored everywhere.

Of course you still have the question of where the electricity comes from.

The best thing i see about electric cars is the reduction of pollution in city areas. Even though they run on electricity and it is ultimately produced by 'unclean' sources, at least the powerplants are usually positioned away from the populace. Since being in a city, you don't need huge acceleration and or longevity on battery life.

ultimately you want to get people out of cars altogether, especially in the city, and onto public transport.That way even with combustion engines you're hugely reducing the CO2e per head.

The one hazard I noticed while walking in a historic area, that ran many old electric cars, was that you could not hear them coming.

hypatia said:
The one hazard I noticed while walking in a historic area, that ran many old electric cars, was that you could not hear them coming.

They need to outfit them with speakers playing the sound of a revving engine I think.

Sustainabilit said:
Am trying to know*how electric cars could be more desirable to own and the public views on the future of electric cars?

I'll take one of these right now! It is only $100K or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6gD6r3-cw

In case no one noticed, the OP was just spam...I'll leave the thread open since it seems to have generated some real discussion, though.

We just need a cleaner burning fuels. Then everything can stay pretty much as is. We've had this discussion numerous times. A strictly electric vehicle doesn't have the energy capacity needed by most commuters. For example, most people I work with live at least 30 miles away. Look at all the energy needed to heat/cool a vehicle and move it from A to B across diverse terrain. Sure it can be done, but not at a price the masses will buy into. In order for the costs to come down, everyone would have to buy into it, our infrastructure would have to change significantly. Nice ideas but I don't see it ever happening on a large scale.

Define "clean". All fossil fuels will emit carbon dioxide, which today is considered a pollutant.

russ_watters said:
Define "clean". All fossil fuels will emit carbon dioxide, which today is considered a pollutant.

hydrogen can be implemented like natural gas (but with a lower power/volume ratio) and is clean. Hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis using electricity from renewables but this is only ~30% efficient, Or potentially harvested from photocatalytic metal oxide surfaces, but a long way off yet. And it's difficult to transport large volumes of H compared to natural gas.

W.r.t to transport, we can still have massive cuts in emmisions by changing the way we travel. As I mentioned, a more efficient and pleasent public transport system, if it were used by everyone, would reduce emissions per person hugely without changing our source of fuel.

There is no panecea, e.g. electric cars, we cannot go on living the way we do, e.g. 1 person per car, we have to change, not necessarily for the worse, our entire way of life, particulaly in the developed world, in order to give ourselves any chance of stemming climate change

neu said:
hydrogen can be implemented like natural gas (but with a lower power/volume ratio) and is clean. Hydrogen can be produced by electrolysis using electricity from renewables but this is only ~30% efficient, Or potentially harvested from photocatalytic metal oxide surfaces, but a long way off yet. And it's difficult to transport large volumes of H compared to natural gas.

W.r.t to transport, we can still have massive cuts in emmisions by changing the way we travel. As I mentioned, a more efficient and pleasent public transport system, if it were used by everyone, would reduce emissions per person hugely without changing our source of fuel.

There is no panecea, e.g. electric cars, we cannot go on living the way we do, e.g. 1 person per car, we have to change, not necessarily for the worse, our entire way of life, particulaly in the developed world, in order to give ourselves any chance of stemming climate change

You can't stop climate change. If all human activity stopped tomorrow the climate would still "change".

drankin said:
You can't stop climate change. If all human activity stopped tomorrow the climate would still "change".
Fine. Insert the phrase "human-activity-induced global warming" if that works better for you.

I keep telling my family not to eat so many beans.

hypatia said:
I keep telling my family not to eat so many beans.

That will never work. You have to set up bean eating quotas and strict sanctions for violating them.

russ_watters said:

A modern small diesel engine does better end-end efficiency and lower CO2 than most electric cars, especially when 50% of your power is from coal.

mgb_phys said:
A modern small diesel engine does better end-end efficiency and lower CO2 than most electric cars, especially when 50% of your power is from coal.

Coal is clean. I've seen the commercials now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-_U1Z0vezw

neu said:
Since all electricity is transported on the same wires, you can't just say 'this power is coming from renewables'. It just doesn't work that way. If you power something with electricity, it's energy comes from whatever the mix of energy sources is that provides the electricity. In our case, that's 50% coal.

Even if you build a dedicated solar plant that only powers an electrolysis plant, the net effect is the same: you could have plugged the solar plant into the grid and offset some coal based power instead.

mgb_phys said:

Esp when the diesel is burning biodiesel derived from algae - approximately CO2 neutral. Note also that a mix of oils from algae and jatropha was tested, in flight, on a 737. The biodiesel performed just as well as the regular fuel and was more efficient [higher mileage].
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/08/airline.biofuels/index.html?iref=newssearch

There is also a good chance that biologically produced hydrogen is [will be] the solution to the H2 supply problem. A group at MIT is pursuing the algae-to-hydrogen option right now.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Since all electricity is transported on the same wires, you can't just say 'this power is coming from renewables'. It just doesn't work that way. If you power something with electricity, it's energy comes from whatever the mix of energy sources is that provides the electricity. In our case, that's 50% coal.

Even if you build a dedicated solar plant that only powers an electrolysis plant, the net effect is the same: you could have plugged the solar plant into the grid and offset some coal based power instead.

OK consider it a gedanken experiment

Ivan Seeking said:
Esp when the diesel is burning biodiesel derived from algae - approximately CO2 neutral.

There is also a good chance that biologically produced hydrogen is [will be] the solution to the H2 supply problem. A group at MIT is pursuing the algae-to-hydrogen option right now.

Excuse me if I'm misconstruing your point, but when anyone mentions biofuels seriously w.r.t Climate change I want to scratch my eyes out.

You mention algae, does this involve oceans filled with iron fillings or is it a sustainable and ecologically acceptable means of harvesting fuel? As opposed to the idea (i realize separate idea) of sticking a bigger price tag on biofuel crops than food crops, whilst also requiring double the agricultural land space.

Sorry I'm genuinely interested in the study you mentioned, do you have a ref?

neu said:
You mention algae, does this involve oceans filled with iron fillings or is it a sustainable and ecologically acceptable means of harvesting fuel?
It could be - take waste material (sewage / corn stalks / bark chips/ chicken feathers) in a few transparent plastic covered tanks in the desert and it could be a good way of converting sunlight into energy.
Especially for applications like aircraft where it's going to be tricky to use electric or hydrogen

As opposed to the idea (i realize separate idea) of sticking a bigger price tag on biofuel crops than food crops,
Crops for fuel have nothing to do with global warming - they are all to do with subsidising farmers in a way that doesn't annoy the WTO.

DaveC426913 said:
Fine. Insert the phrase "human-activity-induced global warming" if that works better for you.

The only problem with that is many of us are not convinced that "human-activity-induced global warming" is a reality. Human induced polution, of course. Polution = global warming, not convinced. There are many posts debating this if you are interested.

neu said:
Excuse me if I'm misconstruing your point, but when anyone mentions biofuels seriously w.r.t Climate change I want to scratch my eyes out.

Sounds like a personal problem. Algae would be a carbon-neutral fuel source IF, unlike ethanol from corn, it is a net energy positive process. Unlike corn-ethanol, the high yields are what make algae an attractive option.

You mention algae, does this involve oceans filled with iron fillings or is it a sustainable and ecologically acceptable means of harvesting fuel? As opposed to the idea (i realize separate idea) of sticking a bigger price tag on biofuel crops than food crops, whilst also requiring double the agricultural land space.

Take a look. I have never seen a viable option that offers as much promise.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=211274

Some companies have proposed starting algae blooms in the ocean, in return for carbon credits, but that is purely for CO2 purposes and not what I am referencing. Biodiesel from algae offers a sustainable path to energy independence, which is worth between a half to a trillion dollars a year in oil imports - money that is evaporating from the US economy right now. In fact oil imports accounts for ~ 60% of our trade deficit, [depending on the price of petrol, etc]. The reason that this is the best of all options is that it is not only a sustainable technology, not only does it have net energy yields [per acre-year] that is twenty or forty times better than any other option, the fuel is compatible with modern diesel engines. Note also that above I linked a 737 test flight using a mix of algae oil.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
Crops for fuel have nothing to do with global warming - they are all to do with subsidising farmers in a way that doesn't annoy the WTO.
I agree, There is also the extremely unpleasant added consequence of a market that favours growing food for cars over food for people.

w.r.t fuel from algae, I'm only vaguely aware of this, I previously, perhaps naively, lumped it in with land farmed biofuels, i'll take a look.

Last edited:
Yes, please don't confuse food crops with second generation fuel techonologies. We all know that that corn-ethanol in particular is a joke. Biodiesel has the same problem when it comes from things like soybeans - the yields per acre-year are far too low to be viable as a general fuel source option.

Neglecting friction, at least how long (or far) would it take a total load of 100 kg, propelled by the Earth's magnetic field, to accelerate to 100 kmh?

1. Are electric cars more environmentally friendly than traditional gasoline cars?

Yes, electric cars produce zero emissions while driving, making them much more environmentally friendly than traditional cars that emit harmful pollutants into the air. However, it is important to note that the production of electricity used to charge electric cars can still have an environmental impact depending on the source of the electricity.

2. How does the cost of owning an electric car compare to a gasoline car?

The upfront cost of purchasing an electric car is typically higher than a traditional gasoline car. However, the cost of ownership over time can be lower due to savings on fuel and maintenance. Electric cars also often qualify for tax incentives and rebates, making them a more affordable option in the long run.

3. How far can electric cars travel on a single charge?

The distance an electric car can travel on a single charge varies depending on the make and model. On average, most electric cars can travel between 100-250 miles on a single charge. However, advancements in technology are constantly improving the range of electric cars.

4. What is the current state of the infrastructure for electric cars?

The infrastructure for electric cars, including charging stations, is constantly growing and expanding. Many cities and countries have implemented plans to increase the number of charging stations available to the public. However, the infrastructure may still be limited in some areas, making it important for electric car owners to plan their routes accordingly.

5. Are there any drawbacks to owning an electric car?

One potential drawback of owning an electric car is the limited range compared to traditional cars. This can make long-distance travel more challenging. Additionally, the production of batteries for electric cars can have environmental impacts and the disposal of old batteries can also be a concern. However, the environmental benefits and advancements in technology make electric cars a promising option for the future of transportation.