1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Circuit Analysis Textbook

1. Feb 11, 2014 #1
    Hi

I need a good book for circuit analysis (preferably, it should be available on my cell phone via, for instance, Kindle or Aldiko.. Or PDF). My curriculum includes AC and DC circuits with:

Resistors
    Capacitors
    Inductors
    BJTs
    Diodes
    FETs (JFET and MOSFET)
    Opamps

I have to be able to find thevenin equivalents of FETs and BJTs. Frequency filters and frequency response of circuits is an important part of the curriculum.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Feb 13, 2014 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I second the Sedra and Smith recommendation. Older editions are fine (and cheap!).

5. Feb 13, 2014 #4
  6. Mar 13, 2014 #5
    Well, I have to resurrect this thread...

I have been trying to get through "Microelectronic Circuits" by Sedra and Smith. The issue is that it assumes that I already know a lot of circuit analysis. While I do know some, it is definitely not enough. So, my question is:

What is a good book to get all the prerequisites for "Microelectronic Circuits"?

7. Mar 14, 2014 #6
    A respected text (AFAIK) is the LOCCADESK LANC:

Leon O. Chua, Charles A. Desoer, Ernst S. Kuh
    "Linear and Nonlinear Circuits".
    But it you had problems with Sedra and Smith, you might find this one a bit too 'academic' (and unbelievably pricey!).
    You might be better off with a more down to earth approach for beginners, like Sadiku's book

Charles A. Alexander, Matthew N. O. Sadiku
    "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits"​

Now in its fifth edition, you can find older editions at a very convenient price.
    (I haven't read it thoroughly though, just skimmed through the pages - my ref is Loccadesk LANC - so take this advice with a pinch of salt)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  8. Mar 14, 2014 #7

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm sorry that I steered you to the wrong place. Since you needed to know equivalent circuits for transistors I was assuming you already had an intro circuits course under your belt - poor assumption!

Regarding the books mentioned by SredniVashtar: I took a class for which "linear and nonlinear circuits" book by Chua, Desoer and Kuh was the optional text. It is way to advanced for this purpose. Any of the standard electrical circuits books would likely be fine - if you have a library look there. I am not familiar with almost any of them.

jason

9. Mar 20, 2014 #8
    Hambley spends way too much time on resistive circuits but covers all of those topics you wish to know about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted