Electric circuit, remove a bulb

In summary, when a voltage is applied to a simple circuit with three bulbs, the total resistance is 3 Ohm and the current is 10/3 A. When one of the bulbs is disconnected, the total resistance changes to 4 Ohm and the current decreases to 10/4 A. This results in the remaining bulb shining stronger than before.
GatorPower
Hi. I seek your opinions on a "simple" circuit:

--------------------------
|........|...|
Voltage..... Bulb2...Bulb3
|.......|...|
|....Bulb1... |

Here one have a voltage (battery) and three bulbs: Bulb1, Bulb2, Bulb3. We think of the bulbs as Ohm-resistances where Bulb1 is a series resistance while bulb2 and bulb3 is in parallell.

The resistance is exactly the same in all bulbs and we turn the battery on so that the bulbs light up. The question is what happens when we disconnect either bulb2 or bulb3. Will bulb1 light stronger or weaker? Bulb2/Bulb3 light stronger or weaker?

As I understand it:

Total resistance is with the resistance of each bulb for simplicity equal 2 Ohm and V = 10 Volts:
Rtot = R1 + (1/R2 + 1/R3)^-1
Rtot = 2 + 1 Ohm = 3 Ohm
I = V/Rtot = 10/3 A

Disconnect Bulb3:
Rtot = R1 + R2 = 4 Ohm
I = 10/4 A

Then Bulb1 will not shine as much as it did before since there is less current going through.
Vbulb2 = 20/6 Volts before bulb3 is disconnected
Vbulb2 = 20/4 Volts after
I = V/R = 20/12 A before, 20/8 A after
Hence Bulb2 shines stronger.

Please offer your opinions on this, I'm not sure if this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me.

1. How does removing a bulb affect an electric circuit?

Removing a bulb from an electric circuit breaks the flow of electricity, causing the circuit to no longer be complete. This will result in the remaining bulbs in the circuit to not light up.

2. Will removing a bulb from an electric circuit decrease the overall resistance?

Yes, removing a bulb from an electric circuit will decrease the overall resistance. This is because there is now one less bulb for the electricity to pass through, resulting in a decrease in resistance.

3. What happens if I remove multiple bulbs from an electric circuit?

If you remove multiple bulbs from an electric circuit, the resistance will decrease even further. This is because there are now fewer obstacles for the electricity to pass through, resulting in a lower overall resistance.

4. Can removing a bulb damage the other components in an electric circuit?

It depends on the type of circuit and the components involved. In a series circuit, removing a bulb can cause the other bulbs to receive too much electricity and potentially burn out. However, in a parallel circuit, removing a bulb will not affect the other components.

5. Is it safe to remove a bulb from an electric circuit while it is still connected to a power source?

No, it is not safe to remove a bulb from an electric circuit while it is still connected to a power source. This can result in an electric shock. It is important to always disconnect the power source before making any changes to an electric circuit.