Electric current and forces problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving three parallel wires arranged in the form of an equilateral triangle. Each wire carries a current of 50A in the same direction. The problem is to calculate the force on one wire due to the other two. The formula F = (2*10^-7)(50)(50)/d is suggested, but the value for d is unknown. The person also expresses confusion about how the wires can be parallel and arranged in an equilateral triangle. The distance d is determined to be 10cm, and the person apologizes for posting a homework question in the wrong forum.
steve12
Hi,im trying to work out this problem but i am slightly confused by the way in which it is phrased.It states:

Three parallel wires,arranged in the form of an equilateral triangle, of side length 10cm,each carry a current of 50A in the same direction.Calculate the force on anyone wire due to the other two.

I am going to use: F = (2*10^-7)(50)(50)/d

however i don't know what value to enter for the distance d between them.i also don't understand how the three wires can be parallel yet arranged in the form of an equilateral triangle??do i just resolve the components of one wire into parallel and perpendicular to the 2nd wire and use the parallel value in my calculations maybe?

any help or guidance would be much appreciated
thanks steve:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The wires (#) are arranged like so;

...#

#...#

(ignore the dots) going into and out of the screen; therefore d = 10cm in each case. Please post your homework questions in the homework forums in future, thanks :smile:

oh i see,thanks a mill for that!and sorry-will do in future!
cheers
steve

1. What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electrical charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) is a type of electric current where the direction of the flow of charge periodically reverses. This is commonly used in household electrical outlets. DC (direct current) is a type of electric current where the flow of charge is in one direction only, commonly used in batteries.

3. What is Ohm's law and how is it related to electric current?

Ohm's law states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied across it, and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, but as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

4. How do electric currents create magnetic fields?

Electric currents create magnetic fields through a phenomenon known as electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a circular magnetic field around the conductor. The strength of this magnetic field is directly related to the amount of current flowing through the conductor.

5. What are some common types of forces involved in electric current problems?

Some common types of forces involved in electric current problems include the electric force, which is the force that exists between two charged particles, the magnetic force, which is the force that exists between a magnetic field and a moving charged particle, and the Lorentz force, which is the combination of electric and magnetic forces on a charged particle.