Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric current is found when Menthos is put in Coca cola

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    Few years ago, we have known about the phenomenon that Coca cola is overflow severely when a piece of Menthos candy is put inside.

I replicate this experiment, with a multimeter is used to measure the current. With my surprise, the needle vibrates to show that an electric current is generated.

Could anyone repeat my experiment to find out that if I am wrong or not

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    I think a somewhat better description of what you did is needed. Where did you put the probes, what is the material of the probes, what is the range of the multimeter, etc.

4. Feb 27, 2012 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Your observation is not unsurprising. Coke is acidic so will react with metal immersed in it. You expect to see a potential difference between immersed electrodes if there is a concentration difference in the electrolyte. The menthos reaction is unevenly distributed in the bottle, and as the reaction proceeds it causes a fluctuating difference in electrolyte concentrations near the electrodes.

When the reaction has ceased, does the current also appear to cease?

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Correcting my own post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook