Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric energy from thermocouples

1. Nov 27, 2014 #1
    If I were to make millions of contacts or "spots" on a long wire,and connect them in series(or parallel?),then make half of them warmer than the other half,would I get any useful voltage,i.e. electrical energy I could use to power something?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2014 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes, this is known as a thermoelectric generator. They are rather inefficient heat engines, but they do have some practical applications.

4. Nov 27, 2014 #3

Danger

Gold Member

I always make allowances for the inclusion of thermionic converters in appropriate circumstances for things that I design. For instance, wrapping the hottest parts of an automotive exhaust system in a blanket of them can provide enough juice to run your radio and GPS at least, and perhaps more. It really wouldn't be cost effective, but it might save a small fraction of a mpg via decreased electromagnetic drag upon your alternator.
    It's a fun exercise, but not worth doing in reality.

5. Nov 28, 2014 #4
    But why is it inefficient? Also one little question: would I need to connect them in series or parallel?

6. Nov 28, 2014 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That depends upon whether you require more voltage or more current.

7. Nov 28, 2014 #6

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook