Electric field above a circular loop

In summary: I'm not sure how to respond to a summary).In summary, the electric field a distance z above a circular loop of radius r that carries a uniform line charge λ can be calculated by carrying out the following integral:$$E=\frac{\lambda rz}{2\epsilon_0(z^2+r^2)^{3/2}}$$where ##R## is the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the radial distance + height from the line charge and ##dl## is an infinitesimal line interval equal to ##r\;d\theta##. It is important to note that the radial component of the electric field cancels out due to symmetry, leaving only the z component to be calculated. Care must be
Radarithm
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the electric field a distance z above the center of a circular loop of radius r that carries a uniform line charge λ.

Homework Equations

$$E=E_r\hat{r}+E_z\hat{z}$$
$$E_r=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_0^r\frac{1}{\mathcal{R}^2}\sin{\theta}\,dr$$
$$E_z=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_0^r\frac{1}{\mathcal{R}^2}\cos{\theta}\,dr$$
$$\sin{\theta}=\frac{r}{\mathcal{R}}$$
$$\cos{\theta}=\frac{z}{\mathcal{R}}$$
$$\mathcal{R}=\sqrt{r^2+z^2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is rather simple but I still got it wrong (I checked the solutions manual and it had a different answer which I will post below).

Carrying out the integrations for ##E_r## and ##E_z##:
$$E_r=-\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}\hat{r}$$
$$E_z=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{r}{z\sqrt{z^2+r^2}}\hat{z}$$
Therefore the electric field a distance z above a circular loop is:
$$E=-\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}\hat{r}+\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{r}{z\sqrt{z^2+r^2}}\hat{z}$$
The solution however is:http://i.gyazo.com/e5aba5c7109b6c119b36ad299003b1bc.png

edit: Nevermind, caught my mistake. Can a mentor delete this thread?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Or you can just post the mistake and so help someone else who does the same?

Likes Vaentus
The radial component of the electric field cancels out at every point due to the symmetry of the circle and the fact that the electric field arises from a line charge. This leaves us with the z component of the electric field, which can be calculated by carrying out the following integral (is it not a line integral?):
$$\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda}{\mathcal{R}^2}\, dl$$
where ##\mathcal{R}## is the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the radial distance + height from the line charge. To get the z component we need to take the cosine of this right triangle so ##\cos{\theta}## would be equal to ##z/r##. ##dl## would be equal to the circumference of the circle, ##2\pi r##.
$$\frac{\lambda}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int\frac{2\pi r}{z^2+r^2}\frac{z}{r}$$
Which results in the following function:
$$E=\frac{\lambda rz}{2\epsilon_0(z^2+r^2)^{3/2}}$$

I incorrectly assumed that the radial part of the electric field does not cancel out which I can understand conceptually. Incorrect assumptions were made.

Last edited:
Not bad - and yes it works out to a line integral.
Just some pointers:

It makes no sense to take the cosine of a right triangle.

If we put P=(0,0,z), and Q is the location of a line element length dl on the loop (radius r) then the cosine of angle QPO is ##z/R: R^2=r^2+z^2##. Was that the angle you meant?

dl is not going to be equal to the circumference of the circle - it is an infinitesimal line interval ##dl=r\;d\theta##.

But you appear to have arrived at the correct answer anyway.
I think you just mixed up r and R.

Since most online sources use R for the circle and r for the hypotenuse, someone marking your work is likely to suspect that you have just copied the solution without looking at it properly. Take care.

Likes 1 person
Radarithm said:
The radial component of the electric field cancels out at every point due to the symmetry of the circle and the fact that the electric field arises from a line charge. This leaves us with the z component of the electric field, which can be calculated by carrying out the following integral (is it not a line integral?):
$$\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda}{\mathcal{R}^2}\, dl$$
where ##\mathcal{R}## is the hypotenuse of the right triangle formed by the radial distance + height from the line charge.
The integral isn't really correct either because you're supposed to sum the electric field due to each infinitesimal line element, but your integral is summing the magnitudes of the contributions. In other words, you can't say
$$\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda}{\mathcal{R}^2}\, dl$$ obviously because the LHS is a vector and the RHS isn't, nor can you say
$$\|\vec{E}\| = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda}{\mathcal{R}^2}\, dl$$ because the correct expression is
$$\|\vec{E}\| = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda}{\mathcal{R}^2}\frac{z}{R}\, dl.$$

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Not bad - and yes it works out to a line integral.
Just some pointers:

It makes no sense to take the cosine of a right triangle.

If we put P=(0,0,z), and Q is the location of a line element length dl on the loop (radius r) then the cosine of angle QPO is ##z/R: R^2=r^2+z^2##. Was that the angle you meant?

dl is not going to be equal to the circumference of the circle - it is an infinitesimal line interval ##dl=r\;d\theta##.

But you appear to have arrived at the correct answer anyway.
I think you just mixed up r and R.

Since most online sources use R for the circle and r for the hypotenuse, someone marking your work is likely to suspect that you have just copied the solution without looking at it properly. Take care.
Yes, that was the angle I meant.
vela said:
The integral isn't really correct either because you're supposed to sum the electric field due to each infinitesimal line element, but your integral is summing the magnitudes of the contributions. In other words, you can't say
$$\vec{E} = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda}{\mathcal{R}^2}\, dl$$ obviously because the LHS is a vector and the RHS isn't, nor can you say
$$\|\vec{E}\| = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda}{\mathcal{R}^2}\, dl$$ because the correct expression is
$$\|\vec{E}\| = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_o}\int\frac{\lambda}{\mathcal{R}^2}\frac{z}{R}\, dl.$$

That makes sense. I guess I'll have to be careful about my notation; I should have also included the step where the line integral transforms into an integral for ##d\theta##. Thanks for the help!

Simon Bridge said:
Or you can just post the mistake and so help someone else who does the same?
Cheers! and thank you Radarithm for coming back to explain your mistake, it helped me quite a bit.

Could someone help me understand how the symmetry is expressed mathematically? I completely understand the symmetry of the situation conceptually but cannot see how to show it mathematically, I have reduced the electric field vector into its radial and axial components as in the following equation
[tex]E=\frac{\lambda r}{4\pi\epsilon_0}(\frac{z}{(z^2+r^2)^\frac{3}{2}}\hat{z}-\frac{r}{(z^2+r^2)^\frac{3}{2}}\hat{r})(2\pi)[/tex]
How would I proceed to cancel the radial component? I know the answer is the above equation with the radial component being 0 but I can't see how to show it.

What you are doing is just that you know the result of the integration ... basically
The charge element on the ring between ##\theta## and ##\theta+d\theta## gives rise to an electric field that can be expressed as ##\vec E(\theta) = E_z(\theta)\hat k + \vec E_r(\theta)## and you notice that ##\vec E_r(\theta+\pi) = -\vec E_r(\theta)## ... i.e. the radial vector on the opposite side of the loop has the same magnitude but points in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

What is an electric field above a circular loop?

An electric field above a circular loop is a region of space where charged particles experience a force due to the presence of an electric charge in the loop.

How is the electric field above a circular loop calculated?

The electric field above a circular loop can be calculated using the equation E = Q/4πε0r2, where E is the electric field, Q is the charge in the loop, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the loop.

What factors can affect the strength of the electric field above a circular loop?

The strength of the electric field above a circular loop can be affected by the magnitude of the charge in the loop, the distance from the loop, and the permittivity of the surrounding medium.

What is the direction of the electric field above a circular loop?

The electric field above a circular loop is directed perpendicular to the plane of the loop, pointing away from the loop for a positively charged loop and towards the loop for a negatively charged loop.

How is the electric field above a circular loop related to electromagnetic radiation?

The electric field above a circular loop is a key component in the generation and propagation of electromagnetic radiation. When a varying electric current flows through the loop, it creates a changing magnetic field, which in turn creates a changing electric field that radiates outwards as electromagnetic waves.