1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field and Charge Density

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Electric Field and Charge Density

Oops, nevermind I guess I just use div(E) = rho/e0

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A layer of charge fills the space between x = -a and x = a. The layer has a charge density [tex]\rho (x)[/tex]. The electric field intensity everywhere inside the charge distribution is given by [tex]E(x) = \hat{x} Kx^3[/tex] where K is a constant[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I asked my professor about this and he said the [tex]\rho(x)[/tex] should be a volume charge density. So basically it's an infinite slab (in the y and z dir) Having some difficulty in finding the charge density.

I am assuming the charge density is NOT constant everywhere, correct?
    I recognize that this requires a Gauss's Law formulation. Similar to an infinite plane if I am not mistaken.
    [tex]E(A) = Qin/e0[/tex]
    [tex]E(2A) = \rho (x) * A * (2a)/e0[/tex]
    [tex]E = \rho (x) * a/e0 [/tex]
    Can I just plug in E and rearrange to get [tex]\rho (x)[/tex] ? Am I handling the ends correctly? I am basically following the same procedure for finding the E of an infinite plane except I am using 2a as the thickness.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted