Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and gauss law for different models of sphere

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    Hello all!!! I actually have a few doubts regarding "gauss law" when applied "for different models of sphere"

First, If we place a charge 'Q' inside a spherical shell at the center (somehow) then it should come out to its surface that means in no way can we do it. True or False????

Next,

Considering a solid sphere having a charge Q uniformly distributed on its outer surface. Thus everywhere inside it is the electric field equal to 0.

But i have somewhere read that the electric field inside a solid sphere is Kqr/R^3.

Or is it that , there is a difference in these two statements
    "A charge uniformly distributed on the surface of a solid sphere" and
    "A symmetrical spherical distribution of charge" ????

Also, How can we get a spherical symmetrical distribution of charge?
    . By placing the charge at the center of the solid sphere???? (which is again impossible i guess)

I'll be greatly thankful if someone clears these brain storming doubts?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hello exuberant.me!!! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
    sorry, no idea what you mean :redface:
    yes … Kqr/R3 is for a charge uniformly distributed throughout the volume (use gauss law! :wink:)
    no, by chucking the charges in, and giving them a good old stir

like making a pudding :smile:

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

With no lumps, of course... nice and smooth...

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4

BruceW

Homework Helper

mathematically,
    [tex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial \theta} = \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial \phi} = 0 [/tex]
    and practically how this could happen for a solid sphere with fixed charges? ...err... maybe in Neutron stars that have a surplus of electrons? The electrons wouldn't be fixed, but in equilibrium the charge distribution would be spherically symmetric... unless it was a pulsar?

So you just have to make a neutron star :) easy-peasy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook