1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and potential on a singular spin helix

1. Jun 23, 2015 #1
    Hello dear physics masters on earth, I am very grateful to be priviliged to ask you a question regarding electric fields and potential of a single-cpin helix. It is portrayed as below.

It is a line of uniform charge, and 1-turn helix with radius R and height H. I have came to ugly answers, and I cannot verify whether I am right or wrong. I'm trying to calculate electric field and potential of a random point, assuming that the field is still applied on the point. I have tried to integrate electric field applied from a segment, which didn't turn out well. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

s.PNG ss.PNG

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Why don't you show us what you already calculated?

4. Jun 24, 2015 #3
    I actually found out. I had to set V = (k*delta Q)/r and integrate it, setting r as sqrt(R^2 + h^2), setting range between 0 and h.
    Acknowledging delta Q = Q/L where L is the length, integration will give same result as given.
    A tricky part for me was where h came from on the constant side. I found out that h is equal to L, after drawing that by myself on a water bottle...

Thanks for your concern anyways, and that's how I found the result out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook