1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field and potential outside and inside nonuniform spherical shell

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the electric field and potential inside and outside a hollow spherical shell (a [tex]\leq[/tex] r [tex]\leq[/tex] b) which carries a charge density proportional to the distance from the origin in the region, [tex]\rho[/tex]=kr, for some constant k.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I've got the electric field inside the shell figured out, but I could be way off base. I have no idea how to do the rest....
    help?

also, sorry, for some reason the <or= sign between a and r isn't working

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    Remember Gauss' equation for the electric field: E=Q/(4pi e*r^2), where Q is the charge enclosed, pi=3.14159..., e* is a constant (the permittivity of free space), and r is the distance from the "center" of the charge distribution (analogous to center of mass). Inside the spherical shell (r<a<b), E=0 (no charge is enclosed). For a<r<b, the charge enclosed is obtained by integrating the charge density over the volume enclosed. In this case, the charge density is kr, and the differential element of volume is 4(pi)r^2 x incremental change in r (dr). This yields an enclosed charge of (pi)k(r^4-a^4), and substituting into Gauss' equation yields E=(k(r^4-a^4)/(4e*(r^2)). Outside the spherical shell, the enclosed charge is given by Q=(pi)k(b^4-a^4), and this yields E=(k(b^4-a^4))/(4e*(r^2)) for all r such that a<b<= r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook