Electric field at a point inside of a uniformly charged ball

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Lushikato
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
As the name of the thread says, I am wondering what would the amount and the direction of the electric field at some point in the uniformly charged ball of radius R(it has a constant charge volume density) be at the distance r from the centre of the ball. Does anyone know what would they be? I would also be interested in what is behind that fact(why is it so).

Thanks in advance.

PS. I didn't know where to put this thread so I've put it in the general section, hopefuly I haven't caused a mess by doing it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you had taken classical electromagnetics course for a while now, you should have encountered problems of this type. Normally, this kind of problem is solved through use of Gauss law. But since you asked this problem, I assume you haven't taken the aforementioned course or haven't gotten far enough in this course to learn about Gauss law. To figure out the direction of the field, you can simply use the argument of symmetry. For solving the magnitude, it's fastest to employ Gauss law using the knowledge of the field direction.