Electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge

In summary: So you're good there.In summary, the problem asks for the magnitude of the electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge with a uniform linear charge density. Using the equation for electric field and the given coordinates, the distance from the point to the line charge is determined to be 13m. By using the idea of symmetry, it is concluded that only the y-component of the electric field needs to be considered. The integral is set up using the variable x and an expression for r is derived. The final expression for the electric field is 120k\lambda / r3, where r is a function of x.
debeloglava

Homework Statement

A uniform line charge of linear charge density [tex]\lambda[/tex] = 5.00 nC/m extends from x = 0 to x = 10m. The magnitude of the electric field at the point y = 12m on the perpendicular bisector of the finite line charge is?

Homework Equations

E = [tex]\int[/tex]dE = [tex]\int[/tex]k(dq) / r2
Ex = [tex]\int[/tex]k(dq)cos[tex]\theta[/tex] / r2
Ey = [tex]\int[/tex]k(dq)sin[tex]\theta[/tex] / r2
dq = [tex]\lambda[/tex](dx)

The Attempt at a Solution

The perpendicular bisector of the finite line charge occurs at x =5m. I have placed a point (P) at the coordinates on the xy plane at P = (5, 12). With P at this point, the radius from (0, 0) to P is:
r = [tex]\sqrt{(5^2) + (12^2)}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{169}[/tex] = 13

If 'b' is the side of the Pythagorean triple equal to 12m then sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = b / r = 12 / 13

With point P bisecting the finite line charge along the x-axis from 0 to 10m I'm arguing by symmetry that Ex = 0, thus there is only a y-component to the electric field.

I'm new to LaTeX and the forums and can't quite seem to get the integration limits to appear properly so the integral is from 0 to 5.

Ey = [tex]\int[/tex]k(dq)sin[tex]\theta[/tex] / r2
Ey = [tex]\int[/tex]k([tex]\lambda[/tex]dx) / r2
Ey = [tex]\int[/tex]k([tex]\lambda[/tex]dx)(12/13) / (132)
Ey = k[tex]\lambda(12/13) / (132) * [/tex][tex]\int[/tex]dx
Ey = 12k[tex]\lambda[/tex] / (133) * [5 - 0]
Ey = (9 x 109)(5 x 10-9)(12 * 5) / (133)
Ey = 1.23 N/C

Using the idea of symmetry again, E = 2 * Ey
E = 2 * (1.23 N/C)
E = 2.46 N/C

Is my work/thought process and ultimately answer correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're getting there, but remember that both r and θ change as x varies. You can't just use their values for when x=0.

So I shouldn't compute a value for sin[tex]\theta[/tex] and instead leave it in terms of b and r (sin[tex]\theta[/tex] = b / r = 12 / r)?

Then I have (integral from x=0 to x=5 again):
Ey = [tex]\int[/tex] k(dq)sin[tex]\theta[/tex] / r3
Ey = 12k[tex]\lambda[/tex] / r3 * [tex]\int[/tex]dx
Ey = 60k[tex]\lambda[/tex] / r3

Then E = 2 * Ey
E = 120k[tex]\lambda[/tex] / r3

I feel like I'm missing something here...

Let's back up a bit. Say you're looking at the segment of charge between x and x+dx. What is its distance r to the point (5,12) and what is sin θ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "segment of charge between x and x+dx". Do you mean a segment of charge, say at x = 3m?

This new side to the triangle formed by points (3, 0), (5, 0), and (5, 12) would then be a = 5 - x where x is any value along the x-axis from 0 to 5.

I'm using theta to be the angle between the x-axis and the hypotenuse of this triangle. Wouldn't sin [tex]\theta[/tex] remain to be 12 / r? Should I be using cosine instead?

debeloglava said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "segment of charge between x and x+dx". Do you mean a segment of charge, say at x = 3m?
There's zero charge at x=3 m because a point has zero size. The interval [x, x+dx], on the other hand, has a length dx, which, while infinitesimally small, is not 0. This is what you're doing when you write dq=λ dx.
This new side to the triangle formed by points (3, 0), (5, 0), and (5, 12) would then be a = 5 - x where x is any value along the x-axis from 0 to 5.
Yes, so you need an expression for r, which will depend on x. Since it depends on x, you won't be able to just pull it out of the integral like you did in your previous attempts.
I'm using theta to be the angle between the x-axis and the hypotenuse of this triangle. Wouldn't sin [tex]\theta[/tex] remain to be 12 / r? Should I be using cosine instead?
Sorry, you had already gotten sin θ correctly. I missed it when I looked over your posts too quickly.

What is an electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge?

The electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge is a measure of the force experienced by a unit positive charge at that point. It is caused by the presence of the line charge and is represented by a vector quantity.

How is the electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge calculated?

The electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge can be calculated using the formula E = kλ/R, where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge per unit length of the line charge, and R is the distance from the point to the line charge.

What is the direction of the electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge?

The direction of the electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge is always perpendicular to the line charge. It points away from the line charge if the line charge is positive and towards the line charge if it is negative.

How does the electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge change with distance?

The electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge follows the inverse square law. This means that as the distance from the line charge increases, the electric field decreases proportionally to the square of the distance.

What is the significance of calculating the electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge?

Calculating the electric field at a point on the perpendicular bisector of a finite line charge is important in understanding the behavior of electric charges and their interactions. It is also essential in practical applications such as designing circuits and predicting the behavior of electrical systems.