Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field between two opposite, gaussian distributed charged spheres

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I understand how to get the electric field between two spheres of uniform charge,
    [tex]
    \vec{E} = \frac{\rho \vec{d}}{3 \epsilon_0}
    [/tex]
    which is simplified because at a point [tex]\vec{r}[/tex], the vectors from each charge center combine to give the distance, [tex]\vec{d}[/tex], between centers (since [tex]\rho[/tex]'s can be factored).

So far, calculating this for two overlapping spheres of gaussian charge distribution seems non-trivial since you can't make this factorization and simply obtain an expression proportional to [tex]\vec{d}[/tex]...

Am I correct with the complexity of this problem, or is there some way more efficient to approach this problem?

I hope to use this electric field to model a harmonic oscillator (electron sphere oscillating around stationary ion sphere) and find a frequency...

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2
    I think you have first to calculate which is the total rho of you 3D distribution.

This seems to be the sum of the two rho's you presented. After that I guess you will have to use integration over the whole space to get the field at point P = (x,y,z).

Best Regards,

DaTario

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the response DaTario.

I've started with that method - finding the field at a point P = (x,y,z) (point [tex]\vex{r}[/tex] in spherical) by integrating the charge from the positive distribution [tex]\rho_{+}=\rho_{0}exp(-(r^{2})/(2\sigma^{2}))[/tex] and then the negative distribution [tex]\rho_{-}=\rho_{0}exp(-(r-d)^{2}/(2\sigma^{2})), assuming [tex]d[/tex] is the displacement of the negative charge center along the z-axis for convenience, but i think it get hairy because these end up being factors for the vectors [tex]\vec{r}_{+}[/tex] and [tex]\vec{r}_{-}[/tex] when you sum the electric fields to get the total, in the overlap.

I was wondering if there's maybe a book problem like this, or even an article i could refer to...

NW

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook