1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field due to a distributed charge over a ring

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    .A ring-shaped conductor with radius a = 0.025 m has a total positive charge Q = 0.125 x 10-9C uniformly distributed around it. The center of the ring is at the origin of coordinates O.

What is the electric field (magnitude and direction) at point , which is on the x-axis at x = 0.4m.

2. Relevant equations
    dq = λ(ds)
    Q = λ(2πr)
    dE = ((k)(dq)/r2) * (r^)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I figured out how to solve the electric field using the equations above, but for some reason I am not getting 0 for the electric field in the y-direction. I know that it has to be zero because all the electric fields cancel out in the vertical direction so I'm assuming my value for r^ is incorrect. Is it supposed to be (0.4i^ + 0.025j^)/(r)? It seems like it should be ((0.4i^ + 0j^)/(r) in order to get 0 for the vertical direction. After solving I end up with E = (6.98i^ + 0.4364j^) and the electric field in the x-direction is correct, but I don't think there is supposed to be a field in the y-direction. So, can someone tell me if my value for r^ is correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By drawing a figure you should see that ##\hat{r}## will have y and z components that vary as you integrate over the ring.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted