1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field due to point charge

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two particles are fixed to an x axis: particle 1 charge -2.00x10^-7 at x=6.0cm and particle 2 at 2.00x10^-7 C at x=21.0cm. Midway between the particles, what is there net electric field?

2. Relevant equations

E=kq/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I drew the picture out, and i know q1 is negative so the electrive field is going towards it to the left, and q2 is + so that means the field is going to the left toward q1, so that means Enet= -E1-E2 , and its negative because there both going to the left? Am i correct on this ? I know the rest of problem is just plugging in numbers, but whant to make sure im correct on theory. Also lets say that q1 was postive does that mean q1 would go to the left, and q2 field would go to the right, resulting in a zero net force ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2008 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I'd say you have grasped the concepts. The E field of 0 in your follow up is however only at the mid point which I'm sure you already understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?