Electric Field for a cylinder without using Gauss's law?

In summary, Gauss's law can be used to calculate the field from a cylinder (inside and outside the cylinder) using the following equation: \frac{1}{r}
gsingh2011
I recently learned how to calculate the field from a cylinder (inside and outside the cylinder) using Gauss's law. I was wondering how I would be able to derive the same formula without using Gauss's law (just for practice). My idea is that you would need to integrate the electric field from cylindrical shells of a radius 0 to R (where R is the radius of the cylinder), and to find the electric field of a cylindrical shell, you would need to integrate the field from rings along the length of the cylinder. The field from a ring is easy to calculate along its axis, but how would you calculate it in a less symmetric situation? Or is there a better way of doing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
gsingh2011 said:
to find the electric field of a cylindrical shell, you would need to integrate the field from rings along the length of the cylinder.

How about integrating the fields from a collection of line charges arranged as a cylindrical shell?

I haven't tried either approach myself, but I do know that the field of a ring at off-axis points is difficult to solve exactly. A line charge is easy, and its field is radial (no longitudinal or azimuthal components) which makes it easier (than for a ring) to integrate a bunch of them together.

The direct solution with the electrostatic Maxwell equations is usually simpler than using the integral form or the solution with the Green's function.

In your case you just write down the Poisson equation (Heaviside-Lorentz units),

[tex]\Delta \Phi=-\rho[/tex]

in cylinder coordinates, assuming cylinder symmetry, i.e., you assume that [itex]\Phi[/itex] and [itex]\rho[/itex] are both functions of [itex]r[/itex] alone. Then you have an ordinary differential equation to solve,

[tex]\frac{1}{r}[r \Phi'(r)]'=-\rho(r).[/tex]

For you problem of a cylindrical shell, you have

[tex]\rho(r)=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi r} \delta(r-a),[/tex]

where [itex]a[/itex] is the radius of the cylinder and [itex]\lambda[/itex] the charge per unit length on the surface.

Now except for [itex]r=a[/itex] your charge density is 0. So we first solve the homogeneous equation

[tex][r \Phi'(r)]'=0 \; \Rightarrow \; r \Phi'(r)=A \; \Rightarrow \; \Phi(r)=A \ln(r/a)+B.[/tex]

Here, I've written the integration constant such that the argument of the logarithm becomes dimensionless as it must be.

The above solution is valid for [itex]r<a[/itex] and [itex]r>a[/itex], but the integration constants have to be chosen differently in the two regions such as to solve the equation including the charge density. For [itex]r<a[/itex] we must have [itex]A=0[/itex], and then we can choose also [itex]B=0[/itex]. So we have

[tex]\Phi(r)=0 \quad \text{for} \quad r<a.[/tex]

To find the solution for [itex]\quad r>a[/itex] we must make sure that the potential is continuous at [itex]r=a[/itex], leading to [itex]B=0[/itex]. To find [itex]A[/itex], we integrate the equation,

[tex][r \Phi'(r)]'=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi} \delta(r-a)[/tex]

over an infinitesimally small interval around [itex]r=a[/itex]. Using the solution for [itex]r<a[/itex] this gives

[tex]A=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi},[/tex]

i.e., the solution reads

[tex]\Phi(r)=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi} \ln(r/a) \quad \text{for} \quad r>a.[/tex]

The electric field is

[tex]\vec{E}=\vec{e}_r \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi r} \Theta(r-a),[/tex]

where [itex]\Theta[/itex] is the Heaviside-unitstep function.

I think OP is interested in the case where the charge density is not zero inside the cylinder.

Ah, I've misunderstood the question since he wrote about cylindrical shells.

For a given cylinder-symmetric charge distribution it's also easily evaluated in the way of my previous posting. Let's take the most simple case of a homogeneous charge density inside the cylinder. In cylindrical coordinate it reads

[tex]\rho(r)=\rho_0 \Theta(a-r).[/tex]

Then you can simply integrate:

[tex]\frac{1}{r} [r \Phi'(r)]'=-\rho(r).[/tex]

For [itex]r<a[/itex] we have

[tex][r \Phi'(r)]'=-r \rho_0, \; \Rightarrow \; \Phi'(r)=-\rho_0 \frac{r}{2}+\frac{A}{r} \; \Rightarrow \; \Phi(r)=-\rho_0 \frac{r^2}{4} + A \ln(r/a)+B.[/tex]

Since the potential should not be singular at [itex]r=0[/itex] we must have [itex]A=0[/itex].

For [itex]r>a[/itex] we can use the previous solution

[tex]\Phi(r)=A' \ln(r/a)+B', \quad \Phi'(r)=\frac{A'}{r}.[/tex]

To find the integration constants, we have to fulfill the boundary conditions that [itex]\Phi[/itex] and [itex]\Phi'[/itex] are continuous at [itex]r=a[/itex]. This leads to

[tex]-\rho_0 \frac{a^2}{4}+B=B', \quad -\rho_0 \frac{a}{2}=\frac{A'}{a}.[/tex]

Setting

[tex]B=\rho_0 \frac{a^2}{4}[/tex]

leads to [itex]B'=0[/itex], and we finally have

[tex]\Phi(r)=\frac{\rho_0}{4}(a^2-r^2) \Theta(a-r)-\frac{\rho_0 a^2}{2} \ln(r/a) \Theta(r-a).[/tex]

The electric field reads

[tex]\vec{E}=-\vec{\nabla} \Phi=\vec{e}_r \frac{\rho_0}{2} \left[r \Theta(a-r) + \frac{a^2}{r} \Theta(r-a) \right ].[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle experiences in the presence of other charges. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

2. How is an electric field calculated for a cylinder?

The electric field for a cylinder can be calculated using the formula E = λ/2πε_0r, where λ is the linear charge density, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

3. Why can't Gauss's law be used to calculate the electric field for a cylinder?

Gauss's law is a mathematical tool used to calculate the electric field for symmetrical charge distributions. It cannot be applied to calculate the electric field for a cylinder because it does not have a symmetrical charge distribution.

4. What is the direction of the electric field for a cylinder?

The direction of the electric field for a cylinder is radial, meaning it points away from or towards the center of the cylinder depending on the sign of the charge.

5. How does the electric field for a cylinder change with distance?

The electric field for a cylinder follows an inverse relationship with distance. This means that as the distance from the center of the cylinder increases, the strength of the electric field decreases.